+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions for cheap passive preamp...possibly for quad 306 etc?

I'm Philip.

Default Suggestions for cheap passive preamp...possibly for quad 306 etc?

Cheaper the better.
    max £50

Must have at least 3 rca inputs

Cheers

I'm Graham.

You won't get one for 50 but a little bit more will get a tisbury passive which is one of the better cheapie stepped attenuators. Go for the current version which has a 3 position attenuation switch essential for usage with the 0.5v input 306.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    You won't get one for 50 but a little bit more will get a tisbury passive which is one of the better cheapie stepped attenuators. Go for the current version which has a 3 position attenuation switch essential for usage with the 0.5v input 306.
    Yes. The input sensitivity on the 306 is too high for use with many passive or active pre-amps. Adjustable attenuation will definitely help.

If you can find one, the Promitheus TVC pre-amp works great with the 306 and offers high sound quality. It's a very good match.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Philip.

Not to worry.
    Quad 306 not available anymore.

I’m shortly to be ampless!

I'm Gone.

There's a nice little Creek 4330 on the bay last time I looked. That should work nicely with AN-K's.
    If set on another 306 and a stepped pot in a box, make sure it has enough steps for you.
    Or, have you tried a T-amp?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by philv View Post
    Not to worry.
    Quad 306 not available anymore.

I’m shortly to be ampless!
    It's still worth looking for a 306, it's a nice sounding amp.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It's still worth looking for a 306, it's a nice sounding amp.
    The 306 is a good little amp but second-hand prices are getting silly. Just a couple of years ago you could pick up a clean unit for £125. Now it's double that. A few will have passed through the hands of bodgers too.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

One cheapie that also looks cute is the Schiit one, but by the time it comes to these shores, I don't know how competitive it is.

The Tisbury is well made and you might find one at a good price. Personally, I'm not sure about the cheap attenuator it uses, as for me anyway, it seemed to deaden the sound very slightly (atmosphere in a recording is important to me) and this was in my own home made passive preamp (in an ugly Hammond project box) away from 'work.' This one I made up years ago, now has 25k film pots, the same as one of the pairs of old Crown amps I repaired.

P.S. Quad amps can work well with a simple passive pot-in-a-box. Check absolute phasing though, as I can't bloody remember if it's the Quad preamp, power amp or even both (!) that invert the phase...
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 12-01-2019 at 14:08.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    P.S. Quad amps can work well with a simple passive pot-in-a-box.
    Don't have any knowledge of the 306 but in my experience with various 'pots-in-boxes' the 303 and 405-2 work and the sound is great but the travel of the pot is negligible before it becomes too loud.
    With the 405-2, I tried firstly pre-attenuating resistors in the box and also tried fitting a pot into the 405-2 itself (a la Keith Snook)

Neither solution was ideal so went back to Quad pre-amps ....

+ Reply to Thread