+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aftermarket CD players for cars?

I'm Dave.

Give these people a ring Martin https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/toyo...ting-kits.html

You remove the standard radio and they should advise a kit to fit a double DIN Fitting back in its place with a cd slot, not cheap though to do.
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    Music Player Pioneer N30 Network Player
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speakers Q Acoustic Concept 40s
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Dave.

Is this now a general problem with new cars? I still use the 6 CD changer unit in our Toyota, and the Peugeot also has a CD changer. Both get used.

I don't put my best CDs in, but I have loads of CDs to play - quite a number are cheap charity shop purchases. I really don't want the faff of having to rip CDs when and if we get new cars. Car manufacturers are often way behind the curve - not helpful - and charge a fortune for features which probably don't cost them much. Now they seem to be ahead of the game - which in this case is not at all helpful.

Also, if I'm going to have to rip CDs anyway, I might as well rip to mp3. Some (older?) cars have mp3 compatible players, and it's possible to get the equivalent of 4 or 5 Cds on a single CD-R, and I have found that useful in the past. The SQ is generally good enough for listening in a car, and it avoids my having to put some of my more cherished discs into a car player.

I looked for Bluetooth CD players - mentioned in msg 8 - couldn't find any neat ones in a quick search. Hopefully new cars will do Bluetooth including audio - older ones don't necessarily work for audio, though they can do phones. That's what I found with one of ours.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

yup my new toyota doesn't have a cd player. bluetooth and aux plus a usb. dab radio etc. i use bluetooth from phone and for music, mostly the usb. ive a little fingernail 128gb drive in it. doesnt seem to recognise flac so stick to mp3
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    yup my new toyota doesn't have a cd player. bluetooth and aux plus a usb. dab radio etc. i use bluetooth from phone and for music, mostly the usb. ive a little fingernail 128gb drive in it. doesnt seem to recognise flac so stick to mp3
    Does it do any other formats, or only mp3?
    wav, aac etc.?

Still a faff having to rip, even if convenient once done. Do you have a display? If so, can you see the artwork (e.g. CD cover) when playing the mp3s?
    Dave

I'm Simon.

I would try and avoid mounting on a dash, etc. There is a safety concern in the event of a crash, both in impacting parts of a body on it and/or, if not secured properly, it coming free and becoming a bit of a missile in the cabin. Any knowledge you may have of physics will explain what kind of forces are involved in a crash.

Your best bet is to go to a professional in car audio outfit for advice.

I'm fortunate, in that my Tiguan has an (in glove box) CD player, SD card player, USB player, Bluetooth and Apple Car Play. I have around 700 albums on an SD card (mostly in 320Kbps mp3) and use that extensively, along with streamed Apple music using Siri voice commands.
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by simon g View Post
    I'm fortunate, in that my Tiguan has an (in glove box) CD player, SD card player, USB player, Bluetooth and Apple Car Play. I have around 700 albums on an SD card (mostly in 320Kbps mp3) and use that extensively, along with streamed Apple music using Siri voice commands.
    Not bothered with Siri, but my Toyota has some voice operated features. Mostly totally useless, and occasionally it gets turned on by accident. It's so useless that on occasions obscenities have been uttered in the privacy of my vehicle, followed by hilarity at the peculiar responses. I suspect that combining Siri with the on-board voice activation might be a recipe for either greater hilarity, or a serious accident.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Does it do any other formats, or only mp3?
    wav, aac etc.?

Still a faff having to rip, even if convenient once done. Do you have a display? If so, can you see the artwork (e.g. CD cover) when playing the mp3s?
    not tried others. flac it ignores. mp3 is fine, it comes up on the main screen and 9/10 you get the album cover too. if a call comes in it pauses and restarts it after.
    all my music is in flac on pc so i just pick a few and get jriver to convert them while keeping the original. if i get bored with the ones im gon on i can add/remove on pc. will be building up a mp3 folder on pc for this. sound is very good and tbh you wouldnt know its mp3
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    not tried others. flac it ignores. mp3 is fine, it comes up on the main screen and 9/10 you get the album cover too. if a call comes in it pauses and restarts it after.
    all my music is in flac on pc so i just pick a few and get jriver to convert them while keeping the original. if i get bored with the ones im gon on i can add/remove on pc. will be building up a mp3 folder on pc for this. sound is very good and tbh you wouldnt know its mp3
    My Pioneer in the car is exactly the same no support for flac, but like you I just build up a collection of MP3s on a 32gb USB stick which is fine
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    Music Player Pioneer N30 Network Player
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speakers Q Acoustic Concept 40s
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Cheers Mike but I probably should have explained that the centre console is a touch screen thing and totally built in - there's no slot to fit a standard unit into, it will have to sit on top of the dash so I' looking for something that will work like that.
    Just type the make and model of the car in ebay and look in the car stereo results.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12