+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ayre c-5xe Compared to a dCS classic stack. (Verdi-Delius-Purcell).

I'm Stephen.

Default Ayre c-5xe Compared to a dCS classic stack. (Verdi-Delius-Purcell).

A while back I was looking for a Pass Labs X1 Pre and whilst looking into it I came across an Ayre K-1xe which I bought and have been very impressed with. So much so, I am considering trying an Ayre C-5xe CD/SACD player as a possible replacement for my dCS front end. I'm not honestly expecting the Ayre to be a significant improvement over the dCS but sometimes a change of presentation can be refreshing. If it as good as the preamp I will be very happy. As an aside I can move on the dCS kit and be a little 'up on the deal' cash wise which I could do with for other things.

Has anyone here owned or had a good listen to the Ayre? I have read very good reviews and hardly any negative comments but sometimes reviews can be inconsistent. The font of knowledge that is AOS would, I feel, be helpful in forming an informed opinion. I am seeking neutral, not excess blossom, nor dry and sterile. Any comments from those who are familiar with this player would be welcomed.

Thanks.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    A while back I was looking for a Pass Labs X1 Pre and whilst looking into it I came across an Ayre K-1xe which I bought and have been very impressed with. So much so, I am considering trying an Ayre C-5xe CD/SACD player as a possible replacement for my dCS front end. I'm not honestly expecting the Ayre to be a significant improvement over the dCS but sometimes a change of presentation can be refreshing. If it as good as the preamp I will be very happy. As an aside I can move on the dCS kit and be a little 'up on the deal' cash wise which I could do with for other things.

Has anyone here owned or had a good listen to the Ayre? I have read very good reviews and hardly any negative comments but sometimes reviews can be inconsistent. The font of knowledge that is AOS would, I feel, be helpful in forming an informed opinion. I am seeking neutral, not excess blossom, nor dry and sterile. Any comments from those who are familiar with this player would be welcomed.

Thanks.
    Have a chat with MartinT over on The Audio Standard forum.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Stephen.

Thanks. I've just registered and am awaiting approval from the administrators. Never heard of that site before.

I'm Simon.

The C-5Xe is a very fine player. I had one quite a few years ago. I didn't compare to a dcs system, but I have heard a few dcs set ups. i think you'd find it quite different; I I would say the Ayre sacrifices some resolution/detail of the dcs for a more fluid sound. Best to try if you could.

Caution required though, as I seem to recall that the Ayre used a modified Pioneer DVD drive. Not sure they're still available? Perhaps worth dropping the manufacturer a line on that?

I'd also consider a Marantz SA-10, which is a current and fabulously good player. I've just bought a Sa141Se and I'm astonished by how good it is and the quality of construction and mechanical performance. The SA10 is a seriously good player.
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

I'm Stephen.

Thanks. I've dropped Ayre a line re the availability of replacement transports.

The SA10 gets excellent reviews and I don't doubt that it is an excellent player. It is also quite current and I doubt I could source one for much less than £5k. The Ayre C-5xe becomes available on the used market now and again for nearer £2k which is a factor.

Interestingly I had heard that the Ayre sound is a little more 'forward' than dCS (although I daresay that depends on which model).

+ Reply to Thread