+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some boxes joined together with wires

I'm inactive.

Obviously quite a bit has changed since the 2015 pic ....

First to go was the Fiio Dac, to be replaced by an Audiolab Q-DAC that was on offer at Sevenoaks with a substantial discount. The Fiio was a great little box and gave me a chance to find out what a more direct digital approach had to offer so the next logical step was something with decent reputation and more scope. Was also attracted to the built-in headphone output instead of the diddy C-Moy I was using.

Not long afterwards I replaced the Pro-Vinyl A/D with an M-Audio ProFire 610 mixer (very cheap on eBay). This was to be fed from the phono stage of the 33 and via Firewire to the Mac for recording (using Audacity). I used to use a Behringer FCA202 for the same function in earlier times and always found Firewire a more robust channel than USB. Unfortunately this development was short lived. M-Audio ceased support for Mac and few months down the line at a substantial OS upgrade the device ceased to be recognised.

As I couldn't find any workarounds for the M-Audio problem, I opted for the Focusrite Saffire Pro-24 that has the same feature set and that I still use today - only now with a much more substantial role than I originally envisioned ... so that's all good then ...

During all this time I was also working on the revisions to the Quad 33 - I posted a lengthy thread on AoS at the time but all the pics are now gone so may do another one. Suffice to say it was quite a substantial change ... but well worthwhile
    Last edited by mikmas; 11-01-2019 at 21:11.

I'm inactive.

The other set up mentioned in the first post.
    In 2017 The Quad Vena replaced the Q-DAC which had been irritating me for some time for a number of reasons.
    The Quad 33 is acting solely as phono stage in this set up, also have a Cambridge CP2 but it is less flexible with no sonic advantage.
    The box sitting next to the Focusrite on the lowest shelf is the PSU for the 33.
    I made the box sitting on top of the 33 to house an RPi 2 and an RPi3.

Last edited by mikmas; 13-01-2019 at 11:34.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice (well-thought out) system, Mike - and housed in a proper 'lived in'/practical space, which I thoroughly approve of, rather than some spotless, but rather antiseptic looking lounge from a 'show home', which looks like someone's just burgled the place

However.... We need some nice close-up pics of that gorgeous Braun - it is the STAR of the show, after all! So get yer camera out again, and let's see some loving close-ups

...preferably with a record on the platter, and the arm and cartridge on top, playing the record, which is how I think pics of T/Ts always look best.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice (well-thought out) system, Mike - and housed in a proper 'lived in'/practical space, which I thoroughly approve of, rather than some spotless, but rather antiseptic looking lounge from a 'show home', which looks like someone's just burgled the place

However.... We need some nice close-up pics of that gorgeous Braun - it is the STAR of the show, after all! So get yer camera out again, and let's see some loving close-ups

...preferably with a record on the platter, and the arm and cartridge on top, playing the record, which is how I think pics of T/Ts always look best.

Marco.
    Cheers Marco - thank you for the positive comments, much appreciated

Have been thinking for a while now of starting a separate thread on the PS500, tis indeed a marvellous machine.
    Life (as usual) tends to get in the way of even the best of intentions so it has slipped quite far down my list of priorities at the 'mo.

Sure I will get around to it sometime soon though

I'm inactive.

In the meantime .... here's one I made earlier:

You're welcome, mate. Nice pic - look forward to reading the separate thread on the beastie!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123