+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caiman vs. Bushmaster

I'm Kevan.

Smile Caiman vs. Bushmaster

This may be a question for Stan , however any thoughts and experiences would be helpful. I have a Caiman with a Gator board that I am using to drive a Quad 33 preamp that in turn drives a pair of 303s driving ESL 63s with Gradient subs. It sounds absolutely stunningly good however the Caiman only has 1 toslink which is a bit of a shame as I am using a CD with an optical out and also a Chromecast Audio for Spotify and Radios 3 & 4. I just got hold of a Bushmaster which has 2 toslink inputs. Sadly this sounds a lot less clear and has substantially less bass. The Bushman is a 1.3 revision board and the firmware chip has a single red dot rather than a number so I guess is probably original firmware.

Are there any mods that can be done to the Bushmaster to get the same kind of sound quality that I am getting from the Caiman? I note there are a couple of different firmwares available if I understand the Beresford.me website correctly, BMI-Serum and BMI-10 or are these the same? Also there are the Venum board mods. I am a little hesitant at soldering SMD components though happy enough with old fashioned wire leg devices What is the consensus on the order in which to do and value of each of these mods and how close are they likely to get to the sound of my Caiman with Gator or what changes or differences would there be between the sounds of these two DACs.

Another question, Currently I am driving the DAC into one of the radio inputs on the Quad 33 using attenuated leads that I got to drive my CD player into this input. I have the option of the lower sensitivity tape input and will shortly have an unattenuated cable for that or to drive into the radio input. Currently the Gator seems reasonably well matched to the attenuated input, are there any specific mods or port choices that might make what is already excellent even better?

Whichever DAC doesn't get used in the main system will be used in the secondary system predominantly for another Chromecast into a Yaquin MC100B driving CELEF PE1, a system which also sounds much better than it should do considering the age and cost of the equipment!

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts

Kevan
    Caber10

Main System:
    Thorens TD160 Mk11 , SME 3009 Mk 2 improved, Stanton 681EE
    2 X Quad 33/303 recently fully recapped and serviced
    Quad ESL63 with Gradient SW63
    Cyrus CD1
    Beresford Caiman, Gator board and Dorado
    Chromecast Audio

Bedroom:
    Chromecast auido
    Cyrus 2
    Ackroyd Coniston on stands

Kitchen:
    Chromecast audio
    Chinese valve amp kit
    Boliver model 18 stand mount speakers

Gallery
    Dunlop SystemDek 2X
    GramAmp2 phono stage
    Beresford Bushmaster with output mods
    Chromecast Audio
    CELEF PE1 monitors

I'm inactive.

I have used the 33/303 combo quite a lot over the years in original and modified form and although I can't comment on the Beresford Dacs (having only had experience of one of Stan's very early models) I can offer the following.

I have extensively modded my 33 and this might be a step too far for you .. but as an absolute minimum I would upgrade the 33 using the excellent (and cheap) Dada package:

http://www.dadaelectronics.eu/shop/q...d-revision-kit

This would make the sensitivity of the inputs much more amenable to modern devices (such as Stan's) without really affecting the Quad signature sound that makes the 33 such a joy (if you are as much of a fan as I am ) and without resorting to attenuating cables - which I always found to be disappointing and a faff to use.

Quite happy to detail the other mods I did ... but a bit late now and off to snooze

The TC-7520/7520SE/7520SEG with the legendary Gator board was updated and the new DAC turned into the TC-7535 Caiman SEG. The Bushmaster I and II and the Caiman MKII are without the Gator circuitry. So they don't have that same delicious analogue sound that the Gator circuit delivers.
    Saying that, there have been a couple of mods to make the BMI and BMII sound warmer, and adding the Dorado takes it to a completely new level.
    If you have a Bushmaster MKI, I do an upgrade package for that for just £40, which includes Royal Mail special delivery return postage. You can add the Dorado plus charger as an additional upgrade at a total cost of £100, postage etc included. It seems like a lot of money now, but after you have heard it you'll agree it was money well spent. Prices quoted are for AoS members obviously.

I'm Kevan.

Stan,

I will definitely go for the Bushmaster upgrade. As I said the board revision is 1.3 so I need bits for that. The problem with the Dorado is that I doubt I would be satisfied with one if it makes such an improvement! I can't really afford £200 just now Is there a purchase link for this on your website for the upgrade to the Bushmaster or how do I order this?

I think I need to look at the whole low voltage issue across both my systems. Apart from the DACs I have wall wart supplies for the Chromecast audios, for a Graham Slee phono stage, a Chromecast for the video projector and doubtless more future devices. Have you thought about a bigger system wide version of the Dorado with multiple 5V outputs, 12V and 15V outputs for the increasing plethora of USB and SELV powered devices or is there another solution possibly battery based that might help resolve the likely nasty mains and LV noise all the wall warts produce?

Thanks

Kevan
    Caber10

Main System:
    Cyrus CD1
    Chromecast Audio

Bedroom:
    Chromecast auido
    Cyrus 2

Kitchen:
    Chromecast audio
    Chinese valve amp kit

Gallery
    Dunlop SystemDek 2X
    GramAmp2 phono stage
    Chromecast Audio
    CELEF PE1 monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Caber10 View Post
    Stan,

I will definitely go for the Bushmaster upgrade. As I said the board revision is 1.3 so I need bits for that. The problem with the Dorado is that I doubt I would be satisfied with one if it makes such an improvement! I can't really afford £200 just now Is there a purchase link for this on your website for the upgrade to the Bushmaster or how do I order this?
    It's £100 for the upgrade and the Dorado package, not £200 .
    PM me and I can work out with you when to send the DAC to me for the upgrade. You don't have to lift any soldering iron. I'll do all that for you.

I'm Adam.

Regarding the problem of only having one toslink optical input - I used to use one of these toslink switches (with no obvious disadvantage to the sound quality):-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Way-Optical-Toslink-Splitter-Switch-Selector-Digital-Audio/372320142159?epid=16004393377&hash=item56b002834f: gYMAAOSwOFBaizyI:rk:2f:0

...means you can connect both the CD player and Chromecast Audio to the one optical socket on the SEG.
    Adam.

I'm Adam.

BTW I did NOT insert the emoticons in my previous post (guess the board is picking up something from my hyperlink).
    Adam.

I'm Kevan.

Adam,

Thanks I hadn't considered that.I have ordered one to see if it works without degrading the signal. I am always suspicious of fibre to fibre junctions as they are bound to attenuate the signal to a significant extent!

Thanks!
    Caber10

Main System:
    Cyrus CD1
    Chromecast Audio

Bedroom:
    Chromecast auido
    Cyrus 2

Kitchen:
    Chromecast audio
    Chinese valve amp kit

Gallery
    Dunlop SystemDek 2X
    GramAmp2 phono stage
    Chromecast Audio
    CELEF PE1 monitors

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Caber10 View Post
    Adam,

Thanks I hadn't considered that.I have ordered one to see if it works without degrading the signal. I am always suspicious of fibre to fibre junctions as they are bound to attenuate the signal to a significant extent!

Thanks!
    I have a couple of those, and they seem to work OK. Re the attentuation you mention, I doubt that you'll notice it. The only problem with those units is the size - they are quite large, though it would be possiible to make significantly smaller ones using different technology - perhaps using electronics to do the switching (and that could even be operated remotely), but they're good as an alternative to having to conect and re-connect fibre links each time you want to use different kit.
    Dave

I'm Anthony.

Stan,

I have a BMII dating from January 2014 with Firmware upgrade 2. Can the upgrades you mention at post No 3 be done to the BMII also? If so I might be interested in this with or without the Dorado. I still use the Anker battery.

Many thank.

Cheers

Anthony

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast