Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
I look forward to one day seeing what 8K can do!

Marco.
I saw some early 4K TVs in shops years ago, and one actually had an 8K TV before they were available for consumers. It was very good, but the problem is getting source material.

Also with some of the higher res models the processing doesn't always keep up, and there can be slight jittering between the left and right sides of the screen, though probably newer kit will have overcome some of those problems, or at least reduced them largely.

A lot of video material which we may watch is actually "optimised", to reduce the effective bandwith (bitrate) requirements. Either movements are restricted so that adjacent frames are very similar, or colours are chosen appropriately. Another way is to allow blurred images - for example a sharp foreground with a blurred background. Strictly the blurred background might require more data if done exactly, but some algorithms might "know" that there's little point, so the background coulld be reconstituted approximagely. Even now there are some types of image and/or video which don't work well with TV, so broadcasters make sure they don't happen, or put in filters to kick them out. I think film makers also use tricks to try to optimise film, or avoid certain techniques which they know will cause problems.

Rapid panning still causes obvious problems for most of us with video, I think - whereas I can stand in a room and turn round quickly and AFAIK my vision keeps up.