+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vintage Volume Pot

I'm Zack.

Default Vintage Volume Pot

Hi all,

I am currently working on restoring a 1950s Saville Stereophonic valve amplifier.

The volume pot has a problem where, at minimum volume, the volume will go to the maximum on one of the channels.

I am looking to source a 470kOhm dual gang potentiometer. The pot has an on/off switch incorporated into it before the pot starts turning.

I was just wondering if anyone knows where I could source one of these pots? I have been having a lot of trouble finding the right one. Not sure if there are any specific websites that could be used to specifically buy vintage audio parts?

Thanks in advance,
    Zack

I'm Geoff.

I was looking 500k log stereo pots on ebay recently and don't recall seeing any 470k ones, but 500k are available and surely would be near enough. None with on/off switch that I saw though, but could you not use a separate on/off switch?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mick.

HI Zack, im not sure about a replacement, but is there a chance that the one you have could be repaired?
    Often old stuff was hand assembled, so in theory could be dissembled and repaired.
    Also a circuit fault could cause mismatch in volume is the ground shared by both sides of the Pot?
    Can you post a photo?

Mick

I'm Dennis.

I don't know the value of it, but my old Quad 33 had the same configuration.
    Try ringing Quad, you never know.

I'm Zack.

Cheers for the replies everyone. I'll send a pic in a bit, bit busy right now

I'm Zack.

Thanks for your help everyone. I decided to get a quote for a bespoke one from these guys in the end. Be good to bear in mind if they can do the job with difficult to find potentiometers.

https://www.blore-ed.com/series45potentiometers

Cheers!

+ Reply to Thread