+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Grim statistics on retirement age and life expectancy

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nightmare. Utter wastes of space... I'd have them all neutered at birth! It's a major reason for why the world's in the state it is.

Marco.
    I'm not sure that "you" are meant to be writing things like that - not very PC is it? Not that I'm disagreeing.

It's not only the low end who are causing problems. There are a lot of middle and upper people who are proud of having kids, and getting them educated, and perhaps into decent jobs. The kids then go off on gap years, and round the world holidays, and consume like it's going out of fashion. The parents meanwhile claim they can do their bit by their liberal and eco values. Perhaps they do manage to do recycling in the green (or blue) bins a couple of times a month, and think they've done their bit for the planet. In the meantime their progeny are carrying on with the consumption.

I'm not perfect - I've done some of this myself.

Some form of balance is needed, but some things, like motherhood and apple pie, just can't be criticised!
    Dave

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    I'm not sure that "you" are meant to be writing things like that - not very PC is it? Not that I'm disagreeing.
    Lol - do you think I give a damn, Dave? I'm completely non-PC. I say what I think, if I believe that it's justified, and folk can take it or leave it

It's not only the low end who are causing problems. There are a lot of middle and upper people who are proud of having kids, and getting them educated, and perhaps into decent jobs.
    And so they should. It isn't necessarily a class thing. Good parents are born from having good values instilled in them by their parents, not from wealth or status, and for bringing kids onto this earth for the *right* reasons, i.e. ones that don't involve gaining financially from the exercise, at the taxpayer's expense!

Plus, in terms of relationships and marriage, and the knock-on effects of that, as far as couples having children, it helps the development of your offspring if the marriages and relationships in question (and any subsequent births) were founded upon/as a result of mutual LOVE and RESPECT between both parties concerned, not convenience/the feeling of having to satisfy an 'obligation', or worse, the unwanted result of a drunken Saturday night fumble in a bus shelter....

Howz dat for being 'non-PC'?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Lol - do you think I give a damn, Dave? I'm completely non-PC. I say what I think, if I believe that it's justified, and folk can take it or leave it

And so they should. It isn't necessarily a class thing. Good parents are born from having good values instilled in them by their parents, not from wealth or status, and for bringing kids onto this earth for the *right* reasons, i.e. ones that don't involve gaining financially from the exercise, at the taxpayer's expense!

Plus, in terms of relationships and marriage, and the knock-on effects of that, as far as couples having children, it helps the development of your offspring if the marriages and relationships in question (and any subsequent pregnancies) were founded upon/as a result of mutual LOVE and RESPECT between both parties concerned, not convenience/the feeling of having to satisfy an 'obligation', or worse, the unwanted result of a drunken Saturday night fumble in a bus shelter....

Howz dat for being 'non-PC'?

Marco.
    To be fair, Dave did say he was not disagreeing...

It's time this term "PC" was knocked on the head - these days it seems to be an automatic reaction to any bold statement (ooh, is it PC? Are we allowed to say that?) The answers are: "don't care", and "I'm going to say it anyway".

We should all try to make at least one "un-PC" statement every day, and if anyone objects, just take them off your Christmas cards list. Or if you feel up to it give 'em a smack round the head. Eventually un-PC will become the accepted norm, and we can all go back to the business of relying on common sense.

My dear mother always used to say that prospective parents should first take an IQ test, and if they score below a certain number shouldn't be allowed to procreate.

While I think that may be a bit harsh, I do wonder whether there should be a licensing system, where tests should be taken, to determine intelligence, aptitude and mental suitability. After all you wouldn't want a psycho babysitting your kids, so imagine how bad it could be if your own mum or dad was that nutjob.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    We should all try to make at least one "un-PC" statement every day, and if anyone objects, just take them off your Christmas cards list. Or if you feel up to it give 'em a smack round the head. Eventually un-PC will become the accepted norm, and we can all go back to the business of relying on common sense.

I've been doing that for years. In fact I usually manage more than one a day now I'm thinking about it. Work is a good venue. Apparently suggesting that the 'Children In Need' telethon be re-named 'Children In Need Of Playstations' is not PC. Who knew?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    To be fair, Dave did say he was not disagreeing...
    Oh I know... I was just clearing up the PC thing!

It's time this term "PC" was knocked on the head - these days it seems to be an automatic reaction to any bold statement (ooh, is it PC? Are we allowed to say that?) The answers are: "don't care", and "I'm going to say it anyway".

Haha - too fucking right... I have an extremely low-tolerance threshold for 'delicate little wallflowers', who get 'offended' by the sight of their own shadows. FUCK political correctness!! Deal instead with REALITY.

My dear mother always used to say that prospective parents should first take an IQ test, and if they score below a certain number shouldn't be allowed to procreate.

While I think that may be a bit harsh, I do wonder whether there should be a licensing system, where tests should be taken, to determine intelligence, aptitude and mental suitability. After all you wouldn't want a psycho babysitting your kids, so imagine how bad it could be if your own mum or dad was that nutjob.
    ...and she had a very good point, as indeed do you in the bit I've highlighted. Best not get me started on that one, as I have *very strong* views on the matter, which would almost certainly have the 'PC brigade' reaching for their inhalers and tut-tutting into their lightly-soiled panties

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've been doing that for years. In fact I usually manage more than one a day now I'm thinking about it. Work is a good venue. Apparently suggesting that the 'Children In Need' telethon be re-named 'Children In Need Of Playstations' is not PC. Who knew?

More like 'Children in Need of a Good Kick Up The Backside'!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I call it "Children in need of a slap".

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Steve.

Of course "Children in need of a PlayStation" is not PC. It's not X-Box either. It's PlayStation.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Some form of balance is needed, but some things, like motherhood and apple pie, just can't be criticised!
    Quite rightly. My mother's apple pie was delicious.

I'm Dave.

Oh I know... I was just clearing up the PC thing!
    No Probs ...

However, bright and responsible parents do not necessarily produce bright and responsbile offspring, and I believe that it's also possible that
    dumb and irresponsbile parents may have bright and responsible progeny.

Genetics is weird, and results aren't always as some might expect. Thus eugenics hasn't always worked in the past - perhaps fortunately.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast