+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Grim statistics on retirement age and life expectancy

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    If you look at a LIFE TABLE which plots these probabilities it is amazing how high the probability of surviving another year, even in your 80s!
    Or keeling over within the next ten minutes.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Or keeling over within the next ten minutes.
    As I said. The complete reverse. If you get to 84 you will probably get to 85

montesquieu Guest

The article is quite specific in its conclusions about the population examined. Seems to have been a reasonably sized data set, if not necessarily very broad.

I’m always rather cautious when I read the word ‘average’ as it’s essentially meaningless. I would like to know more about how the conclusions were reached. But it does seem to be based on real cases.

If you can find a way to drill down somehow I’d be very interested in your perspective.

We do read lots of studies that keeping active and indeed in paid employment can be good for you but I doubt there’s much evidence that working on in a corporate managerial role extends your life - the figures do rather seem to indicate the opposite.

I'm James.

At the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious, LEB has increased and continues to do so. We now die slowly from chronic expensive to manage health problems. Furthermore, past investments in retirement have been too low for most people to retire comfortably.

Don't get me started on these statistics. The conclusions, such as are implied not stated are wrong and for many reasons!
    Just depends on which statistics your use/read and how these statistics are calculated/implemented.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Grant.

poorer people from poorer areas live shorter lives; its a statistic. now it could be because of numerous causes. i would suggest, if you quite like your job, then be wary of giving it up too early, especially if its not "too much for you". A lot of folk who retire, die early, often through boredom.
    Im severely disabled and its root causes are too much hard work. i should have taken my mother's advice and done less, but i enjoyed it, and needed the money so i did it. Living a long life, if your not happy isnt something to be desired. Retire if you can afford to and live a lower standard of life, enjoying the little things in life, like getting up when you want, and laughing at the rat race etc. If you enjoy it, then dont retire as it can kill you.
    Trust me, i know of plenty folk forced to retire that died early, and plenty like me who went on too long doing more than they were able. Money aint everything.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

As I said. The complete reverse. If you get to 84 you will probably get to 85
    There's the old joke

"Who wants to live to be 95?"

"A 94 year old".

I think Segovia wrote a short passage in his latter years, asking God to forgive him for all the mistakes he made while playing, and to let him have just one more year (at least?) to perfect his technique.
    Dave

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Just depends on which statistics your use/read and how these statistics are calculated/implemented.
    No. There is statistical method to establish causality and for dealing with "confounding variables"!

I'm inactive.

The usual clickbait for 'early retirement' pension schemes. Assumed causality does not a fact make

If you believe this kind of BS you probably will die early -- from the induced neurotic stress.

I'm Robert.

Have wanted to be out of this game for a long time.

Work has long been a bag of stress and pressure.

I remember when you worked hard but a least you were allowed to get on with things.

Suddenly companies moved heavily to a focus of tendoring and contracting out, so changes and much more expectation of each individual.

In the past 5 / 6 years or so the pace of change and churn has been crazy, unhealthy and unbearable.

Employees face restructure after restructure, re-interview after re-interview, increase in expectaion under the guise of 'multi disciplinary working'

The world we know has gone way too far the extreme end of things.

Of course people want to work and work hard too but they are having the very life squeezed out of them by the demands and expectation from their employers, companies, organisations, businesses and as a result stress is literally sapping the life out of Mums, Dads, people, having a very negative knock on effect.

This current system and order of things is killing people, their joy and sense of life

My hope is to be out of it sooner rather than later, somehow, some way.
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 07-01-2019 at 10:47.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm James.

No. There is statistical method to establish causality and for dealing with "confounding variables"!
    As I said it depends on how you use and manipulate statistics.!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast