+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Grim statistics on retirement age and life expectancy

I'm Robin.

Just to go back to the original subject, I will be retiring slightly early in coming weeks, and hopefully the fact that my Mum celebrated her 91st birthday will be good sign and equally important the calculations made by myself and my financial advisor are accurate.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Ah, 'financial advisors'... I'm not a big fan of those either, as they're primarily focussed on 'advising' you on what's best for boosting their bank balance!

I advise myself, or will consult people close to me I trust with the necessary knowledge.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Objecting to a controversial subject being discussed is just another form of political correctness and, by extension, thought control.
    Rubbish ... but each to their own

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    Just to go back to the original subject, I will be retiring slightly early in coming weeks, and hopefully the fact that my Mum celebrated her 91st birthday will be good sign and equally important the calculations made by myself and my financial advisor are accurate.
    Good luck with that - retirement I mean. Hopefully you'll enjoy it, and have enough to live on.

I was once given a suggested formula for one's own survival. I think it went something like take the ages of your grandparents at death, add them up, add 40, and then divide by 4. The actual formula I was told was expressed slightly differently, but algebraically the same. The 40 was supposed to represent improvements in health etc. over a period of say 70 years - dividing by 4 brings it back to 10 - so "most" people now live 10 years longer than people a couple of generations back. Unfortunately in my case this formula is let down by one of my grandmothers, who I think died way before I came along. Similarly mrs dave has been let down by one of her grandfathers who also was inconsiderate enough to die young.

The good thing is that to some very limited extent people are like light bulbs. The longer they keep going, the more likely they are to live longer - though of course the remaining time will probably be shorter - is this <sadface>?)

If I've remembered the formula correctly (which may be doubtful) I'll hopefully make it to 78. Oooh that's scary. I hope to do better than that.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Good luck with that - retirement I mean. Hopefully you'll enjoy it, and have enough to live on.

I was once given a suggested formula for one's own survival. I think it went something like take the ages of your grandparents at death, add them up, add 40, and then divide by 4. The actual formula I was told was expressed slightly differently, but algebraically the same. The 40 was supposed to represent improvements in health etc. over a period of say 70 years - dividing by 4 brings it back to 10 - so "most" people now live 10 years longer than people a couple of generations back. Unfortunately in my case this formula is let down by one of my grandmothers, who I think died way before I came along. Similarly mrs dave has been let down by one of her grandfathers who also was inconsiderate enough to die young.

The good thing is that to some very limited extent people are like light bulbs. The longer they keep going, the more likely they are to live longer - though of course the remaining time will probably be shorter - is this <sadface>?)

If I've remembered the formula correctly (which may be doubtful) I'll hopefully make it to 78. Oooh that's scary. I hope to do better than that.
    that will put me in my 80's... i wish
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

A quick follow up to previous couple of messages. If anyone is reaching State retirement age, it may be worth considering options for taking the state pension. For various reasons I wanted to defer mine and I calculated that deferring for one or two years would have been optimal. Unfortunately (or was it? ...) I left things longer than that, so it looked as though I was going to have to wait until I get to be around 100 to break even. However, when I did finally get round to it, I was able to take a lump sum which was very useful for a large purchase which would otherwise have been quite difficult to do.

Each person's circumstances are different. If you need the money, then taking the state pension as soon as possible makes sense, but if you don't then deferring can be helpful. When you take the SP you still have the option of taking a larger monthly payment or a lump sum.

Do your own assessment of your needs, and don't let financial advisers sway you too much. Also don't let the DWP rush you into taking the money early if you think deferring will help. However DWP will probably forget about you if you don't take the pension at the first opportunity, so it's best to keep on top of this and periodically check. As it happened things seem to have worked out OK for us, but that wasn't a given.

Ah - another thing which may not be generally known, and I only found out about this after talking to a DWP agent - it may even be possible to take the SP, then subsequently suspend it to get the benefit of a deferral - but for most people I think it's going to make sense to think about a single deferral period, from the date of first eligbility.
    Dave

I'm Steve.

These statistics are only of any use when sampled from a large enough population, and the closer to home you get the more unreliable they become.

My dad turned 80 last August and still works three or four days a week (cherry-picking the nicer jobs) because he loves what he does, and it keeps him in touch with suppliers/customers/friends. Mum had a major stroke at 58 and died aged 63. Where does that put me as a 61 year old?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    that will put me in my 80's... i wish
    Very best wishes - I hope you make it.

Dave
    Dave

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    These statistics are only of any use when sampled from a large enough population, and the closer to home you get the more unreliable they become.

My dad turned 80 last August and still works three or four days a week (cherry-picking the nicer jobs) because he loves what he does, and it keeps him in touch with suppliers/customers/friends. Mum had a major stroke at 58 and died aged 63. Where does that put me as a 61 year old?
    I recall that was why the fomula I mentioned specifically mentioned grandparents - more reliable for the predictions I was told. There may be variants which include parents' ages as well, but they will only work when the data is known - which at the time I was told of the formula did not apply to me as both my parents were still alive.
    Dave

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    . Where does that put me as a 61 year old?
    On borrowed time?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast