+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Grim statistics on retirement age and life expectancy

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    ive hopes of getting full state pension, if i live long enough, but dont know if i will. they(the Govt) were supposed to pay in full credits for me looking after the wife all those years but ive heard no more
    Dont leave it Grant, find out. The information is there on the government website. You just need your N.I number.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Grant.

The lower working class often live in poorer housing stock in poor areas. This is bad both for moral and health.
    Thus many try to buy a house to get out of this dump causing them to have to work more, get stressed more etc.
    It's a catch 22 really for many. Working class men in n of England were likely to live 25 years less than more affluent southern equivalent

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

The question I ask myself is how much money do you need to live on? I suppose it all depends on your anticipated expenditure after you have dealt with the essentials such as food and household bills. I would also account for all motoring costs and TV license etc. Also I would presume to have paid off mortgage and have no rental costs. So I have done the calculations and I get to £800 per month for a single person which is about £10000 per year. Ok this would be pretty frugal but you could live on it.

Where it gets complicated is when you try and account for holidays, new cars, replacement items such as a washing machine or boiler and inflation. So I have calculated you would need about £20-30000 as a safety net fund. Of course if their are two of you and you both live together and put £800 each into the pot things look much better. But this was the bare minimum I calculated you needed to live.

If you have grand holiday expectations, want to dine out often and change your car regularly then this blows this assumption out of the water. I would recommend then building a war chest of £100000 on top of this to indulge in this sort of retirement plan!

I live fairly frugally now and don't spend money unnecessarily especially as I am still saving to retire and I like the challenge of a frugal life as it can be more rewarding and you appreciate things more.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The question I ask myself is how much money do you need to live on?
    Not a lot. It's actually rare for me to spend more than a tenner a day, normal outgoings for the home aside.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not a lot. It's actually rare for me to spend more than a tenner a day, normal outgoings for the home aside.
    How much do you recon you can get by on per month?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    The lower working class often live in poorer housing stock in poor areas. This is bad both for moral and health.
    Thus many try to buy a house to get out of this dump causing them to have to work more, get stressed more etc.
    It's a catch 22 really for many. Working class men in n of England were likely to live 25 years less than more affluent southern equivalent

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk
    I have been thinking about this , just working in a council block of flats where everyday they are smoking on the top flight of steps . everybody seems to smoke including roll ups , no wonder life expectancy is reduced .
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    How much do you recon you can get by on per month?
    Never worked it out, but maybe £250? £30 of fuel lasts me a month. Don't smoke anymore, seldom have a drink, don't eat out and so on..........
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Never worked it out, but maybe £250? £30 of fuel lasts me a month. Don't smoke anymore, seldom have a drink, don't eat out and so on..........
    And you live in London!!!
    I couldnt manage on 10 times that amount and have no mortgage, dont smoke and only drink a few pints at the weekend. Council tax is £3000 a year though.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Martin.

My essential bills are under £200 a month so allowing a tenner a day walking around money I reckon I could do it on £500.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I could actually move to the other family home and live for sod all. Let the others pay, I paid for them long enough! I've reached the point where I can't really think of anything I want to buy, as I have everything I need.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast