+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bakeoff at Bigman80's

Bigman80 Guest

Default Bakeoff at Bigman80's

Today i had the supreme pleasure of hosting a little digital bakeoff at my humble abode.

The real purpose of this was so that Steve (STD305) could come and have a listen to the Krell KSA100 MK2. Now as 90% of the gear listened to was owned by me, I am not going to say anything about how my system performed, i will leave that to Steve.

What i will say is what was used and how i felt it ranked.

System used was:

1.2A DCB1 with Khozmo preamp.
    SPOTFIRE Cables
    Krell KSA100 MK2
    SPOTFIRE Speaker Cables
    Pioneer CS-77A

First up was the Recently loaned to me Raspberry Pi With Allo Boss DAC:

I have been so impressed by this little thing that i had to buy one. I just can't fathom how this little unit does so much good for so little money. Before any one says "why is there a record weight on there" It's there to hold it down! It's too lght and the cables just move it where ever they want.

If anyone wants to know what i think of this Pi, read here: https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...nvisible-media!

We listened to a few tracks, discussed what we heard and decided to compare it to Steves GBP1200 Cyrus CD player:

We used Steve Miller for this one and in about 30 seconds, Steve turned it off. "That sounds Shit!"

We tried another CD and it sounded better but to me, it didn't reach the HD levels of the Pi. We were a little surprised and to be honest, we laughed a bit too. This little box of Pi was kicking Ass.

I then threw my Sony CDP into the Mix. It came to me via the generousity of Macca so it really owed nothing at all :

Once again we laughed. The feebie Sony was prefered to the Cyrus but still sits well behind the Pi. What is this little gadget doing to all of my pre conceived ideas of HIFI!!!

In next went a left field CDP. My Yamaha CDP- 385 (?) Unfortunatly, i didnt take a Pic!!

This was when things became very interesting. The Pi, or me was still better but this closed the gap. It showed the Sony to be muddy, almost smeared. It also had a little more richness or "luxury" in the mids compared to the Pi but it coudnt match the Pi's HF quality.

Again though, the Cyrus was lacking in the rankings now dropping to fourth against the PI, Yamaha and the Sony.

We were very surprised. So surprised we spent the next 30 minutes looking at Pi's for Steve lol.

We also played a bit of vinyl but as that was all my gear, i'll leave Steve to describe how he thought it sounded.

Overall, a great day and totally interesting to see how everything compared.

A few gratuitous pics of the rig:

I'm John.

Sounds like a good day. I keep meaning to look into PIs, but I still can't get my head around how they work within the chain!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Sounds like a good test for the pi. I've got 2. Both on volumio and mostly driven wireless ly from my laptop running audirvana. I have worth trying that out as with pc doing a chunk of the processing up scaling it etc the pi runs really well
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Sounds like a good test for the pi. I've got 2. Both on volumio and mostly driven wireless ly from my laptop running audirvana. I have worth trying that out as with pc doing a chunk of the processing up scaling it etc the pi runs really well
    I am not ready for that yet Grant, My mind isn't fully compliant with how it all works. I will get there though.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
    Sounds like a good day. I keep meaning to look into PIs, but I still can't get my head around how they work within the chain!

They are actually easier than i thought. A few folks here are more capable than me at guiding on this subject.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    They are actually easier than i thought. A few folks here are more capable than me at guiding on this subject.
    Someone explained it to me in detail at Kegworth last year, but I then went home and forgot everything they said .

I'm Grant.

Need to get head round wifi but other than that it's not much different to any computer or smartphone. It has an os then you feed it music and it feeds the stereo
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

You can do the WiFi via the Volumio setup I believe.

I'm Grant.

Yup. I it's just getting used to how it all just works once set that folk often struggle to get. It's a bit of a leap of technology for many initially but if you stick with it you score
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Yup. I it's just getting used to how it all just works once set that folk often struggle to get. It's a bit of a leap of technology for many initially but if you stick with it you score
    I'll be setting one up from scratch soon so I might do a total beginner guide!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast