+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to connect Audiocom Superclock 3 PSU to Marantz CD17

I'm Martin.

Default How to connect Audiocom Superclock 3 PSU to Marantz CD17

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie here with a modified Marantz CD17 that has an Audiocom Superclock 3 fitted to it.
    I also have the separate Audiocom PSU board for the Superclock, but have no idea how to connect it up.
    Would anyone know how these should be connected and could advise someone who has no understanding of electronics, although I did successfully manage to do the Superclock 3 mod some time ago, although that seemed to be relatively straightforward?

The instructions I have for the superclock PSU are:

1. Ensuring the unit is unplugged from the AC main, the Live (L) AC input connects to the non switched Live AC input of the CD/DVD player.
    2. The Neutral (N) connects directly to the Neutral AC input of the CD/DVD player.
    3. The +DC output of the PSU connects to the +DC input of Superclock.
    4. The GND pin next to +DC on the PSU (0V) connects to the input GND pin of Superclock next to the +DC pin.
    5. Power up and test.

They all sound sensible, but looking at the pictures I've attached I have no idea where to start, and also whether I need to then disconnect, or partially disconnect, the current power supply feeding the clock as well?

I'm sure there are a lot of people on here who have significantly more experience than I and I wonder if anyone is able to help me out?

CD17PSU.jpgSuperclock PSU1.jpgSuperclock PSU2.jpgCD17Clock.jpg
    Michell Orbe
    Origin Live Encounter MK3C arm
    Benz Micro Wood S
    Cyrus Phono Signature and PSX-R2 PSU
    Primare i30
    Marantz CD17 with Superclock 3 mod
    IPL S2TLK CD3 Ribbon Transmission Line speakers in light oak.

I'm Simon.

Ok the psu is mains voltage and takes power direct from the blue and brown wires entering your cd player. But, it looks like it has 3 points on the grey screw fit connector block which means it could be expecting a ground wire/earth, which your cd player doesn't have. Flip the PSU over and see if there are only two or three sets of tracks running from the psu connector block. I think there's only two, if so splice in one wire from the blue and one from the brown into the connector, any way round will do it's AC. That said, i can't see where the power comes out of the PSU board, so take a pic of the under side first please.

The superclock board looks like it takes DC from the red wire coming from under the main pcb(power +) and then connects the longer wire to a gnd point where it's soldered to the main cd player pcb. So those two points on the superclock are power+ and gnd, just desolder them and connect them the correct way round to the output pins on the superclock psu pcb. You might need to leave the existing ground wire to the main pcb in place, but I suspect the shield on the coax that carries the clock signal is also effectively power-gnd.

Lets see both ends and the underside of the psu and we can work it out.

and as always it's mains voltage, so if you don't know what you're doing at all, don't do it.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Richard.

Yep, as per SQ, and my post in your original thread - your new PSU has a fuse, so no worries there - it’s fairly straightforward, but better to pay someone to do it if you’re not confident.

I'm Simon.

Did you end up fitting the superclock i sent you a while back Richard?
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Martin.

Thanks for your help guys.
    I'll get some pics of the underside of the PSU, and a better one of both the PSU and clock, as they have + and grnd markings on them I think.
    Michell Orbe
    Origin Live Encounter MK3C arm
    Benz Micro Wood S
    Cyrus Phono Signature and PSX-R2 PSU
    Primare i30
    Marantz CD17 with Superclock 3 mod
    IPL S2TLK CD3 Ribbon Transmission Line speakers in light oak.

+ Reply to Thread