+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44452535455 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry pi and the delights of invisible media!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    My Pi + Boss combo finally arrived today. I was surprised that Volumio required next to no setup to get started.

It sounds... a bit underwhelming, to be honest, but I'm powering it with the standard wall wart at the moment. At some point I will assemble a high-current regulated PSU (Sigma11) and hopefully it should improve things a bit.
    I'd give it a few hours (I think Allo initially suggested something like 50 hours) before making a final judgement. Also, I'm not convinced that Volumio is the best OS for getting the most out of certain DACs. For the sake of an SD card and a little time, give Moode and/or PCP a try.

I'm Tony.

My Pi + Boss combo finally arrived today. I was surprised that Volumio required next to no setup to get started.

It sounds... a bit underwhelming, to be honest, but I'm powering it with the standard wall wart at the moment. At some point I will assemble a high-current regulated PSU (Sigma11) and hopefully it should improve things a bit.
    If you haven't already done so I would change OS to PCP and then disable the wifi and HDMI in settings as this seems to reduce distortion/noise.

However, in my system and using good LPSUs I eventually found the sound was not to my preference having a very hifi presentation that to me was a little sharp. It did however, have a very good bass sound.

I ended up putting an rpi3 under my hifiberry digi+ HAT into my old Xiang Sheng DAC and much preferred this arrangement. This was a good step up from my old rpi2/hifberry Digi+ and improved the bottom end in much the same way as the Boss DAC.

I'm now toying with the idea of trying a Allo digione.
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Grant.

Volumio sounds just dandy to me. I dont think its software related unless its not set up optimally.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

I have the Allo Boss DAC and found it not really much better than the (original) IQAudio DAC I also use (and which cost considerably less)

Both are very good, just didn't find the Allo board that much to write home about - either with the 'official' Raspberry wallwart or a linear supply to feed it.
    Last edited by mikmas; 16-05-2019 at 16:36. Reason: correction

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    I have the Allo Boss DAC and found it not really much better than the (original) IQAudio DAC I also use (and which cost considerably less)

Both are very good, just didn't find the Allo board that much to write home about - either with the 'official' Raspberry wallwart or a linear supply to feed it.
    I much prefer the Boss V1.2 (not tried the original Boss) over the Iqaudio, although excellent as well��
    Allo Boss Player / NJC Audio Reference Headphone Amp / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    I much prefer the Boss V1.2 (not tried the original Boss) over the Iqaudio, although excellent as well��
    The Boss one I have is the V1.2

I'm Pavel.

To my ears, with CD-quality material it really sounds like a good CD player from the 90s, not that it's necessary a bad thing, but I get a bit more life-like presentation from my vinyl rig.

I have a couple of jazz albums in 192/24 I bought off hdtracks.com, I need to track them down and have a proper listen.

I'm Steve.

Hi all
    I finally have my allo boss up and running.
    With the help of Oliver it's now a working piece of kit.

Still need to get the hard drive running but at least i now have radio.
    Bass sounds a little light but its early days.

Will need a little help to get the hard drive up and running Oliver so you will be getting a few more txts mate but thanks for your help so far...
    Steve..
    Technics SP10 tt. Cart: At33ptg
    Project 2xperience sb dc
    Nelson Pass DCB1 pre
    Audio Research 75hd
    Aragon 4004 dual mono
    Monarchy Audio SM70
    CD Player: Cyrus cd8se
    Spotfire Speaker Cable
    Rogers Ls3/5a 15ohm
    Tannoy Eaton

I'm Tony.

Wow!

I just discovered the ALSA 10 band equalizer in piecoreplayer and have used the bass boost setting.

This is like fitting a decent subwoofer into my system and has really brought my speakers low end alive.

To my ears and preferences this has brought about a very good step up in sound.

Only trouble is it has left my vinyl sounding far to neutral...
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm stuart.

Ok for my sanity .......

RPi and BOSS 1.2

BOSS J25 OFF to feed power to RPi and BOSS individually

RPi & Isolator 1.2 & BOSS 1.2

Isolator J26 ON BOSS J25 ON to feed power to Isolator and BOSS individually.

J29 serves no purpose other than illuminating (or not) a LED?

The Allo docs aren't exactly clear, they could do with a little drawing showing each configuration.

Not that I can even power it up as the USB -C cables I ordered with 1st class postage last Monday still aren't here ... grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Garrard 401, Jelco 750 with Shuggie, Ortofon 2M Black / ZYX Yatra 100, Project Phono RS with Sigma22 Linear PS, RPi3 + DigiOne + Linear PS, RPi3/1Tb SSD with PiCorePlayer + Linear PS, Perreaux Eloquence 250i 40th Anniversary with ES9038Pro DAC, Monitor Audio PL300, Tannoy Mansfield 15" HPD's.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44452535455 LastLast