+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Raspberry pi and the delights of invisible media!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by LC1979 View Post
    I currently have two USB sticks directly in the pi. So would it sound better to use a spare pi as a NAS to hold these USBs, then link both to the router with Ethernet cables?

Or buy a 256gb micro SD and put my music on that?

Would both option likely improve on my current set up?
    I wouldnt buy a pi soley as a storage device. I use a standard portable hdd straight into one of the USB ports. You need to be giving the pi a decent amount of current for this to work correctly so the psu you are using will dictate whether or not this is feasible. You'll want at least 2.5a and probably nearer 3a psu to work well.

However some have reported benefits to listening to stored music off the SD card. Do a test and if you like this option buy as big a one as you can afford and stick your music on there.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm Andy.

I use a second PI as a NAS server (openvaultmedia) with a 6TB USB drive (separately powered) to stream my music to my other PI using IQaudio DAC Plus.
    It sounds spot on to my ears and for the cost, a bargain (been using a PI as a music streamer for around 5 years now)
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Grant.

I used to run 2rpis with a hdd attached to only one. Using volumio I could easily send it to the other. I heard no difference.
    But I use a self powered hdd which I recommend
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gninnam View Post
    I use a second PI as a NAS server (openvaultmedia) with a 6TB USB drive (separately powered) to stream my music to my other PI using IQaudio DAC Plus.
    It sounds spot on to my ears and for the cost, a bargain (been using a PI as a music streamer for around 5 years now)
    This is where I will end up eventually.

I'm Luke.

Thanks all for the good thoughts.

I have a spare Pi lying around so a DIY NAS could be the way to go for the cost of some network cable.

For around £30 a 256gb micro SD card appeals for its neatness if SQ is equal between those two options.

It seems generally agreed that direct from USB is probably marginally inferior SQ.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by LC1979 View Post
    Thanks all for the good thoughts.

I have a spare Pi lying around so a DIY NAS could be the way to go for the cost of some network cable.

For around £30 a 256gb micro SD card appeals for its neatness if SQ is equal between those two options.

It seems generally agreed that direct from USB is probably marginally inferior SQ.
    If you pay volumio it can act as a nas for you to a point but there is a software that is set up to be a nas. OpenMediaVault software
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by gninnam View Post
    Is this easy to do? Does it work over wifi or only via Ethernet?

I have a second pi and a couple of spare usb drives.

Thanks

I'm Neal.

DIY NAS, Good idea if you have the parts knocking about, instructions here: https://thepi.io/how-to-use-your-ras...-as-a-nas-box/

For something plug n play and a bit neater with hot plug drive support I'd go for an all in one NAS already setup like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Personal-St...sr=1-4-catcorr

Still need the drives though...
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit1cat View Post
    Is this easy to do? Does it work over wifi or only via Ethernet?

I have a second pi and a couple of spare usb drives.

Thanks
    If you have the latest board with the Wifi built-in even easier but you could also add a USB WiFi dongle if you choose and would work. But to be honest the NAS is better if you use Ethernet.
    Is it easy? - I would say fairly easy. Download the software and install onto an SD card of your choice (greater then 4Gb) using the relevant tool to copy the image and make the SD card bootable then boot it up and sniff it out on the network.
    Login with the default admin account and either follow the helpfull tutorials on the net or if you have a rough idea of how file shareing works then even easier (I have nearly 40 years IT experience so a piece of cake for me )

Easy to setup so your smart TV can access it to so all areas are catered for (also use it to back up my MAC and phone).

Again, I use a self powered USB drive (cheap as chips) - need to get another one so I have a backup as most of my other USB drives are not large enough now.
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Barry.

Thanks for info guys, I will give it a go when I have minute. The only problem I see is getting it to work with moode. At present I have my pi connected via WiFi to my ZyXEL NSA310 NAS in the computer room, this works very well but is getting a little low on space and a bit long in the tooth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast