+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Raspberry pi and the delights of invisible media!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Interesting thread, guys. I've been intrigued by the Pi since recently hearing one as the main source at the Neat speakers room at October's Toronto audio show. The rep, a very nice fellow from the company's UK HQ, was very keen on it. It sounded excellent. And I must say it sounded quite a bit better than his previous source (PC and DAC) that I heard at the 2017 show, playing through the same speakers. The latter made the tweeter in the speakers (Iota Explorer) sound brittle and harsh, but all was sweet using the Pi. Pretty remarkable difference.

A few questions, if you don't mind (and pardon my lack of knowledge here; I'm starting where Oliver was a few weeks ago... )

What are the options for user interface? PC or Mac? Tablet?

Does it sound better than a simple PC --> DAC --> Preamp setup? Reason for this question is that I already have a couple of surplus laptops, and could easily buy a simple good quality DAC for reasonable money and be done with it...plug and play, basically. But if sound quality is superior, then I'd go for the Pi.

Speaking of preamps, mine only has unbalanced RCA inputs - how do I connect a Pi to this?

And speaking of sound quality, have any of the CD players you're comparing it to been modded in any way? i.e. discrete clock boards, op amps, etc.? I have a modded Teac VRDS-10 which had these upgrades done, and it sounds outstanding. It would be interesting to know a bit more about your CD players, just as a frame of reference.

Thanks, and regards,
    Svend
    Hi Svend,

The bits I can answer:

The CDs are totally standard. The Cyrus could do with its seperate PSU unit thing to improve its performance but other than that, that's all.

I had a M2tech young DAC. It was good via CD, less so Via USB and laptop. I prefer what I am hearing from the stand alone pi connected to a USB stick.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I need to find a solution to connect a HDD. Via a powered usb hub or board.

Anyone know of something suitable?
    I bought a hub from the Pi Hut which powers the HDD and isolates it from the Pi's power line. I think it's been discontinued, but they may have something similar.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    I bought a hub from the Pi Hut which powers the HDD and isolates it from the Pi's power line. I think it's been discontinued, but they may have something similar.
    Cool. Thanks.

I did look at that one I think and it had been discontinued

I'm John.

What are the options for user interface? PC or Mac? Tablet?
    Speaking of preamps, mine only has unbalanced RCA inputs - how do I connect a Pi to this?
    PC, Mac, Tablet, Smartphone - anything that can run a browser will be OK.
    You attach a HAT DAC such as the Allo Boss to the Pi. The DAC will have RCA outputs.

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Hi Svend,

The bits I can answer:

The CDs are totally standard. The Cyrus could do with its seperate PSU unit thing to improve its performance but other than that, that's all.

I had a M2tech young DAC. It was good via CD, less so Via USB and laptop. I prefer what I am hearing from the stand alone pi connected to a USB stick.

Thanks Oliver! Good to know.

I'm not familiar with the M2tech DAC, but will check it out. Interesting that it sounded worse with PC...

Just to clarify, I am not necessarily looking to replace my CD player with a Pi or DAC; just complement it as a second digital source to access streaming music. But it would be a tough sell in this house if it won't sound the equal of our modded Teac.

How are you controlling your music playing? Tablet or PC? Wireless?

I'm Geoff.

You can buy a Ycable or make one yourself. Just ship the 5g line from one side which connects for data only. Power will come from the other part of the Y cable

Bigman80 Guest

Thanks Oliver! Good to know.

I'm not familiar with the M2tech DAC, but will check it out. Interesting that it sounded worse with PC...

Just to clarify, I am not necessarily looking to replace my CD player with a Pi or DAC; just complement it as a second digital source to access streaming music. But it would be a tough sell in this house if it won't sound the equal of our modded Teac.

How are you controlling your music playing? Tablet or PC? Wireless?
    Usb flash drive storing the files into a usb port on the Pi then using Volumio via laptop or Android to control the Pi.

I'm Geoff.

You can buy a Ycable or make one yourself. Just snip the 5 volt line from one side which connects for data only. Power will come from the other part of the Y cable

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    You can buy a Ycable or make one yourself. Just ship the 5g line from one side which connects for data only. Power will come from the other part of the Y cable
    Oh, ok, that could work.

I'm Svend.

PC, Mac, Tablet, Smartphone - anything that can run a browser will be OK.
    You attach a HAT DAC such as the Allo Boss to the Pi. The DAC will have RCA outputs.
    Good one - thanks John! Very helpful.

This is starting to look like a very versatile little gizmo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast