+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Raspberry pi and the delights of invisible media!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Thanks Svend!

In my opinion, which has been formed in a week lol, Pi3+, Allo DAC or Any DAC hat for that matter to get going, Volumio, Ethernet cable, Micro SD card and some form of file storage is the easiest way to go.

EAC from CD to FLAC and rip your CD's.
    The Ethernet cable is just to help set the Pi up
    My experience is a little different from yours. Yes the new RPi board is significantly better than the earlier versions. Of course, it should be, it is quite an upgrade from previous versions. I find the Rpi wifi to degrade SQ compared to a wired connection. I can detect no difference in SQ whether I play back files from a NAS connected to my router, or a memory device connected to the Rpi. However, I tried a Samsung SSD and found it to be less clear than the micro SD cards that I use with a USB adaptor.

My biggest difference from your findings concerns Tidal. I find the SQ to be excellent. However, I am using Audivarna to upsample the Tidal stream before it goes to the Rpi and then to my Caiman DAC. The SQ is ultra smooth and very analogue. When upsmapled to DSD 128 or DSD 256, the sound I am getting from Tidal is amongst the best I have heard on my system.

Geoff

BTW; I did use Bubble PnP for a while. It is very user friendly and flexible but not a patch on the Audivarna for SQ or user interface.
    Last edited by Sherwood; 12-01-2019 at 19:02.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    My experience is a little different from yours. Yes the new RPi board is significantly better than the earlier versions. Of course, it should be, it is quite an upgrade from previous versions. I find the Rpi wifi to degrade SQ compared to a wired connection. I can detect no difference in SQ whether I play back files from a NAS connected to my router, or a memory device connected to the Rpi. However, I tried a Samsung SSD and found it to be less clear than the micro SD cards that I use with a USB adaptor.

My biggest difference from your findings concerns Tidal. I find the SQ to be excellent. However, I am using Audivarna to upsample the Tidal stream before it goes to the Rpi and then to my Caiman DAC. The SQ is ultra smooth and very analogue. When upsmapled to DSD 128 or DSD 256, the sound I am getting from Tidal is amongst the best I have heard on my system.

Geoff
    I haven't got the tidal upscaling stuff and to be honest, I am not really overly bothered about it. The tidal thing is another bill to me and when you don't want to pay anymore, your music collection is gone.

I'd rather buy 20 CDs for £20 per month, rip them and do it that way.

How are you using the MicroSd? A usb adaptor or are the files on the one that goes underneath the board? Cannot be done that way?

Bigman80 Guest

This is sounding very good

I'm Geoff.

I haven't got the tidal upscaling stuff and to be honest, I am not really overly bothered about it. The tidal thing is another bill to me and when you don't want to pay anymore, your music collection is gone.

I'd rather buy 20 CDs for £20 per month, rip them and do it that way.

How are you using the MicroSd? A usb adaptor or are the files on the one that goes underneath the board? Cannot be done that way?
    This sort of thing https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDD...icro+sd+reader

As to Tidal, I already have over 3,000 cds ripped to FLAC. I do not want to add further to my storage challenges. I consider Tidal an exteme bargain. For $20 a month I can listen to virtually unlimited new and new to me music in top quality. I listen to at least one new album a day so the $20 is peanuts.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    This sort of thing https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDD...icro+sd+reader

As to Tidal, I already have over 3,000 cds ripped to FLAC. I do not want to add further to my storage challenges. I consider Tidal an exteme bargain. For $20 a month I can listen to virtually unlimited new and new to me music in top quality. I listen to at least one new album a day so the $20 is peanuts.
    Ah, yes, mine is very similar. Strange that I wasn't convinced it made a difference. Hey-ho, that's just hifi isn't it.

I'm inactive.

The micro sd you use for the OS can also be used for files storage and playback (certainly on Moode and I guess on Volumio too)

All you need to do is expand the available space on the OS card (done from within the Moode system settings)

This means you can chuck the OS onto a bigger MSD and use the rest of the space BUT - if the system goes down and you need to re-burn the OS, you lose all the stored files.

Might be a workaround but I tried it and found it not worth the hassle.

I'm Darren.

Breaking into Saturday morning like a 16 year old in 1996
    I was 16 in 1996 and having spent many a morning with this blasting out of my Walkman whilst doing my paper round, I think it's a fine way to start the day

As it seems you're using Volumio on a 3B+, it's worth looking into underclocking IMHO.

Nowhere near as difficult as it sounds, some useful info here http://theaudiostandard.net/thread/4...r-pi-allegedly. Certainly less time consuming than comparing storage media and I possibly more audible?
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    I was 16 in 1996 and having spent many a morning with this blasting out of my Walkman whilst doing my paper round, I think it's a fine way to start the day

As it seems you're using Volumio on a 3B+, it's worth looking into underclocking IMHO.

Nowhere near as difficult as it sounds, some useful info here http://theaudiostandard.net/thread/4...r-pi-allegedly. Certainly less time consuming than comparing storage media and I possibly more audible?
    That Album was a must play at every party we threw. Seriously enjoyed the revisit today.

I'll buy it on CD and rip it. See what it sounds like.

This underclocking stuff sounds interesting. I'll have a look.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    I was just about to turn 16 first time I saw the Prodigy in 1996

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Source: Thorens TD124 Rega RB300, Sumiko bluepoint No2., Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CDP, Squeeze box Touch, PC with Trends Audio USB Audio DAC UD-10 Amplification: Croft Micro 25 basic pre, Leak Stereo 20, Trends Audio Class T TA-10, Fisher X100-A Speakers:Impulse H6 Interconnects: Handmade silver and TNT audio CAT5 speaker cables

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by simon e View Post
    I was just about to turn 16 first time I saw the Prodigy in 1996

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Lol, I never saw them but did sneak into and get ejected from Quest in Wolverhampton on two occasions I was 14

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast