+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Raspberry pi and the delights of invisible media!

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    Wouldn't that mean earlier Pi's that didn't have any WiFi inbuilt would be superior?
    I found the wifi built into the RPi 3 definitely inferior to the Netgear dongles I use on my RPi 2s ...weaker reception and more prone to break up ... so I disabled it and use a dongle instead, much better

Only music data transfer via wifi that occurs with mine is with the radio stations (BBC 320kbs) and they are absolutely fine with wifi - and certainly no better with ethernet connected IMV.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Only when you execute a scan - why would it hunt for anything otherwise,?

If a packet is addressed to it, it will respond, otherwise it has no reason to ... think of it like Royal Mail sorters, if nothing comes in they go off for a fag break
    I think the Pi 3 WiFi auto scans at 1 minute intervals which is why a lot of users disable it

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I think the Pi 3 WiFi auto scans at 1 minute intervals which is why a lot of users disable it
    Maybe ... but the built-in wifi is a bit pants either way (in my experience) ... see previous post

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Maybe - the built-in wifi is a bit pants either way (in my experience) ... see previous post
    Yip wired is definitely best

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Yip wired is definitely best
    Oh no it isn't

I'm John.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post

Bigman80 Guest

Spent a couple of hours comparing Tidal to HD files on the SSD and CD Rips in Flac on the SSD.

Ive compared Wifi Vs Ethernet, Memory card vs all of the above and Pi3+ Vs Pi 2.

What a pain in the arse all that was.

So here is my conclusive conclusion.

Tidal Vs HD files on SSD

Tidal is not floating my boat. It sounds like all the horrid digital stuff i have tried and avoided previously. I emailed Tidal and they called me with some advice to improve the quality but it made little if any difference. Impressed with the customer service.

HD Files via SDD are superb. I can't find a fault with it so on we go.

HD Files on SSD Vs CD Rip on on SSD

Again, superb. Maybe a little less resolution but i'd be lying if i said i was convinced.

Happy with either.

USB Stick 3.0 Vs SSD

If you can hear a difference, Well done!. Both are superb and to be honest, I wasn't aware of any issues or major differences.

All of the above Vs Memory Card.

Getting bored. Not convinced one is better than the other. Used via 3.0 USB adaptor

WiFi Vs Ethernet

Ok, streaming via Tidal was better via Ethernet. Using the Pi via Volumio for stored files, No difference at all.

Pi2 Vs Pi 3+

Pi 3+ is far better. It's cleaner, bass is tighter. The transparency is better and the performers are more spaced out. Imaging improved greatly. The Pi 2 sounds ike everything is in the middle. Not any more. Spend £30 and upgrade your Pi2

There you go. I will be using a Pi3+ via SSD to play stored files and control it via Volumio, connected to the Wifi.

I'm Svend.

Thank you Oliver! Finally some clarity in this Pi thing. Not to seem ungrateful for all the suggestions and recommendations about this psu and that drive, etc., but all of it was getting me more and more confused. I was ready to give up and just buy a Bluesound streamer, plug it in and be done. That last post of yours just got me keen to try a Pi again. Well done! So helpful.

Cheers,
    Svend

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Thank you Oliver! Finally some clarity in this Pi thing. Not to seem ungrateful for all the suggestions and recommendations about this psu and that drive, etc., but all of it was getting me more and more confused. I was ready to give up and just buy a Bluesound streamer, plug it in and be done. That last post of yours just got me keen to try a Pi again. Well done! So helpful.

Cheers,
    Svend
    Thanks Svend!

In my opinion, which has been formed in a week lol, Pi3+, Allo DAC or Any DAC hat for that matter to get going, Volumio, Ethernet cable, Micro SD card and some form of file storage is the easiest way to go.

EAC from CD to FLAC and rip your CD's.
    The Ethernet cable is just to help set the Pi up

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast