+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 55 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Raspberry pi and the delights of invisible media!

I'm Grant.

yup, its a disc shaped streamer. they will keep the cast function
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Cool, that's all I'm worried about, as I don't use that other device.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Bigman80 Guest

I am now fully independant of the loan Kit.

I have created a Boot SD for the Pi!

Off to look at "Clocking the Pi"

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Never mind that - what are "newspapers"?

Haven't bought one in about 10 years... Thought they'd be extinct by now!

Marco.
    'Newspapers' are the Analogue form of Digital Newspapers, they are the Vinyl, Cassette, CD (only tactile ) of their day, a tactile experience to be embraced when experiencing a media.
    Newspapers share a wonderful history of being repurposed, just like the other tactile media materials.
    Vinyl had some exemplary uses beyond supplying a groove for a Stylus to Plough through.
    It made wall clocks hip, it became book ends, Magazine racks, Side Tables, wine racks.
    Just as CD's had a secondary life beyond replaying music, like making dam good reflectors on gate posts, coasters for cups in your vinyl only listening room, shims to help level a Turntable Plinth, oh and don't forget the seasonal Ice Scraper, you all might be needing one of these soon.
    I don't want to disclose all the fun, so I'm sure finding out the repurposing of casette tapes will be a time well spent for those interested.
    As for Newspapers WOW! how about boot fair crockery protection, Lighting the fire Brrrr,
    Papier Mache Modelling 'Oh What memories' Putting the veg peels in for the Compost Heap.
    Top of the list though, you aint had Fish and Chips until your devoured them out of a Newspaper Wrapping, Halcyon days or what.
    Streaming, Streaming, where's the fun in that

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Haha - great post, John!

I do concur with the sentiments behind it.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Bigman80 Guest

The linear power supply arrived for the Raspberry Pi a few days ago but obviously due to me breaking my wrist my thumb etc I haven't been able to give it try.

Alan popped round today to collect a few bits and pieces so while he was here I asked him if he would put the Raspberry Pi together with the linear power supply.

We had a little hour session and straight away the power supply made a lot of difference. it just cleaned the sound up is probably the easiest way to describe it. For me there is a definite removal of bloom from the bass which was a bit of a shame really because as I suspected I do have a little bit of a bass deficiency from my DCB1. This came to light a while back when Steve and I made the same preamp and we both opted to use audio note tantulums. unfortunately Steve found they were a little shy in the low frequencies but up until now as I'd only been using the Raspberry Pi with standard smps, I hadn't realised.

Implementing the linear power supply it became obvious very very quickly to me that the audio note Tantalum are a problem in the preamp and I will be removing them as soon as I can move my hand.

So on to the power supply: it cost approximately £50 to get into the UK. I didn't pay any charges on that when it landed so I'm very pleased. According to Alan's estimation it's providing 5 volts and about 1.75 amps which is a little down on the advertised 3 amps but being from China nothing is ever quite what it seems I'm very pleased with the results on one hand because it's quite obvious that there's more performance to be had from the pie with a few astute purchases.

I need to change resistors in the preamp which is depressing but this a good upgrade in my opinion.

I may look at improving the PSU with a bit more amps.

Bigman80 Guest

Further investigation of media streaming and storage based file replay has lead me to Universal Media Server. Its a free DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server. Once installed on my laptop i had to elect which folder from my Hard Drive i wanted to share. One done it built the library. Within 10 Minutes I was up and running from the "Streams" section of Volumio. Really easy!

So far i am pretty convinced that the SQ is far better than any form of USB based storage i have tried. I would say if the file is HiRes, It's also better than Tidal, which as a service i have been quite surprised with. It became my preferred source, but not now. Why one would be better, i dont know because they are both streaming to the Pi in the same way.

Well happy.

Bigman80 Guest

Sounds great.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Sounds great.
    LPS?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    LPS?
    Yup. Linear power supply indeed!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 55 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast