Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
Oliver, I think you summed it up very well, much the same as my personal experience having bitted the Pi/DAC/Caiman SEG DAC bullet. I presume you have borrowed and not purchased at this stage.

If you decide to go ahead then you had 2 choices really, the route I took and then if your CDP has S/PDIP out you can feed the Caiman SEG DAC or similar external DAC, this is very likely to improve the CD replay(but I am not sure that you have one). Alternatively by a RPi with a higher end DAC card, like ALLO – KATANA DAC or TERRATECHNOS – TERRA-BERRYDAC 2+. If you want to spend a bit less but still get really good SQ I understand that this is a good option RPi with ALLO – KALI I2S RECLOCKER and compatible DAC (have a read https://volumio.org/product/allo-kali-i2s-reclocker/)).

Enjoy sofa sound surfing.
Hi Adrian,

I tried a Caiman. Didn't like it. Tried it with the new power thing and still didn't like it. Heard it after a clock mod and again, wasn't for me.

CDP has no spdif so I'll go the way of the pi!

I have now bought a Pi 3+. I have done a deal with mikeyb for his Boss DAC hat and case and I'll stick with that for a while. I am very green about this sort of stuff so before info ploughing head first into something I don't understand, I'll use this rig to learn. Once I am more comfortable, I'll have a look at upgrades etc.

I'll make a bit if the bits you recommend though, thanks for that.