+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44452535455 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry pi and the delights of invisible media!

Yatsushiro Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    My Pi + Boss combo finally arrived today. I was surprised that Volumio required next to no setup to get started.

It sounds... a bit underwhelming, to be honest, but I'm powering it with the standard wall wart at the moment. At some point I will assemble a high-current regulated PSU (Sigma11) and hopefully it should improve things a bit.
    I'd give it a few hours (I think Allo initially suggested something like 50 hours) before making a final judgement. Also, I'm not convinced that Volumio is the best OS for getting the most out of certain DACs. For the sake of an SD card and a little time, give Moode and/or PCP a try.

I'm Tony.

My Pi + Boss combo finally arrived today. I was surprised that Volumio required next to no setup to get started.

It sounds... a bit underwhelming, to be honest, but I'm powering it with the standard wall wart at the moment. At some point I will assemble a high-current regulated PSU (Sigma11) and hopefully it should improve things a bit.
    If you haven't already done so I would change OS to PCP and then disable the wifi and HDMI in settings as this seems to reduce distortion/noise.

However, in my system and using good LPSUs I eventually found the sound was not to my preference having a very hifi presentation that to me was a little sharp. It did however, have a very good bass sound.

I ended up putting an rpi3 under my hifiberry digi+ HAT into my old Xiang Sheng DAC and much preferred this arrangement. This was a good step up from my old rpi2/hifberry Digi+ and improved the bottom end in much the same way as the Boss DAC.

I'm now toying with the idea of trying a Allo digione.
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Grant.

Volumio sounds just dandy to me. I dont think its software related unless its not set up optimally.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm inactive.

I have the Allo Boss DAC and found it not really much better than the (original) IQAudio DAC I also use (and which cost considerably less)

Both are very good, just didn't find the Allo board that much to write home about - either with the 'official' Raspberry wallwart or a linear supply to feed it.
    Last edited by mikmas; 16-05-2019 at 16:36. Reason: correction

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    I have the Allo Boss DAC and found it not really much better than the (original) IQAudio DAC I also use (and which cost considerably less)

Both are very good, just didn't find the Allo board that much to write home about - either with the 'official' Raspberry wallwart or a linear supply to feed it.
    I much prefer the Boss V1.2 (not tried the original Boss) over the Iqaudio, although excellent as well��
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    I much prefer the Boss V1.2 (not tried the original Boss) over the Iqaudio, although excellent as well��
    The Boss one I have is the V1.2

I'm Pavel.

To my ears, with CD-quality material it really sounds like a good CD player from the 90s, not that it's necessary a bad thing, but I get a bit more life-like presentation from my vinyl rig.

I have a couple of jazz albums in 192/24 I bought off hdtracks.com, I need to track them down and have a proper listen.

I'm Steve.

Hi all
    I finally have my allo boss up and running.
    With the help of Oliver it's now a working piece of kit.

Still need to get the hard drive running but at least i now have radio.
    Bass sounds a little light but its early days.

Will need a little help to get the hard drive up and running Oliver so you will be getting a few more txts mate but thanks for your help so far...
    Steve..
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Tony.

Wow!

I just discovered the ALSA 10 band equalizer in piecoreplayer and have used the bass boost setting.

This is like fitting a decent subwoofer into my system and has really brought my speakers low end alive.

To my ears and preferences this has brought about a very good step up in sound.

Only trouble is it has left my vinyl sounding far to neutral...
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm stuart.

Ok for my sanity .......

RPi and BOSS 1.2

BOSS J25 OFF to feed power to RPi and BOSS individually

RPi & Isolator 1.2 & BOSS 1.2

Isolator J26 ON BOSS J25 ON to feed power to Isolator and BOSS individually.

J29 serves no purpose other than illuminating (or not) a LED?

The Allo docs aren't exactly clear, they could do with a little drawing showing each configuration.

Not that I can even power it up as the USB -C cables I ordered with 1st class postage last Monday still aren't here ... grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Garrard 401, Jelco 750 with Shuggie, Ortofon 2M Black / ZYX Yatra 100, Project Phono RS with Sigma22 Linear PS, RPi3 + DigiOne + Linear PS, RPi3/1Tb SSD with PiCorePlayer + Linear PS, Perreaux Eloquence 250i 40th Anniversary with ES9038Pro DAC, DCG3 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 8x2 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 686 Power amp, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Primare V25 CD player, Monitor Audio PL300, Sjostrom DCT03 DC Blocker.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44452535455 LastLast