+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 55 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Raspberry pi and the delights of invisible media!

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    As it seems you're using Volumio on a 3B+, it's worth looking into underclocking IMHO.

Nowhere near as difficult as it sounds, some useful info here http://theaudiostandard.net/thread/4...r-pi-allegedly. Certainly less time consuming than comparing storage media and I possibly more audible?
    Interesting tweak ... and love this comment from the author of the mod under discussion - sums it up perfectly IMV

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/0...-3-as-usb.html

QUOTE:
    "A. General Impressions
    The Raspberry Pi 3 playing to the USB DAC is indeed "clean"; as in just as noise-free and "bit-perfect" as other computer-based servers sending to a good asynchronous DAC (no surprise and further discussed here last summer).
    ----
    May I also remind everyone that this is all with an inexpensive switching power supply... No noise of significance even with the 192kHz test beyond the audible spectrum. I think it would be nice if the believers in linear power supplies can show some evidence that noise can be significantly improved at the DAC output since the cost of linear power supplies can be many times that of a Pi 3!"

(emphasis added)

I'm Darren.

There seems to be a consensus, that if using a standalone Pi (i.e. no HAT) then PSU makes little difference. I USB out from the Pi to the Oppo and am very pleased with the results.

I'm still interested in upgrading to a LPS as I can use this to power my Pi and MiniDSP (for Subwoofer) which, if nothing else will remove 2 SMPS from my HiFi Radial.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Interesting tweak ... and love this comment from the author of the mod under discussion - sums it up perfectly IMV

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/0...-3-as-usb.html

QUOTE:
    "A. General Impressions
    The Raspberry Pi 3 playing to the USB DAC is indeed "clean"; as in just as noise-free and "bit-perfect" as other computer-based servers sending to a good asynchronous DAC (no surprise and further discussed here last summer).
    ----
    May I also remind everyone that this is all with an inexpensive switching power supply... No noise of significance even with the 192kHz test beyond the audible spectrum. I think it would be nice if the believers in linear power supplies can show some evidence that noise can be significantly improved at the DAC output since the cost of linear power supplies can be many times that of a Pi 3!"

(emphasis added)
    That negates considering the main reason for installing a (Fully Regulated - *must* be that) linear PSU in the first place: preventing the injection of noise into the MAINS SUPPLY shared by the rest of the equipment.

(emphasis added)

It's not just about improving the sound of the RPi or DAC, by addressing noise at circuit level. SMPS units are notoriously NOISY buggers, period!!

Therefore, eradicating that noise (by not using any in the first place), which they inject *at source* into the mains supply, thus contaminating everything else plugged into it, is where I think the bulk of the sonic benefit is gained.

Marco.

P.S Dazza, Happy New Year, mate! Hope Luke and you are well?
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by simon e View Post
    I was just about to turn 16 first time I saw the Prodigy in 1996

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Seen them for the first just before “Charley” came out at a rave in 1991,absolutely mind blowing!

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That negates considering the main reason for installing a (Fully Regulated - *must* be that) linear PSU in the first place: preventing the injection of noise into the mains supply shared by the rest of the equipment.

(emphasis added)

It's not just about (arguably) directly improving the sound of the RPi. SMPS units are NOISY buggers!! And removing that noise is where I think the bulk of the benefit is gained.

Marco.

P.S Dazza, Happy New Year, mate! Hope Luke and you are well?
    My sentiments exactly!

Happy New Year to you and Del. We're both good thanks, how's life at Marco Towers?

I've been meaning to find the time to pop round for a visit and pick up the BD's I lent you, but work keeps getting in the way . The system's moved on a few steps since you last heard it, mostly due to the addition of a second Nak (one for left channels and one for right) and bolstered by new Schuko power cables, interconnects (some balanced) and Bi-Amping the main speakers. As usual it's still a work in progress, you'll have to pop round for a film night once things have settled down a bit
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

I'm James.

My sentiments exactly!

Happy New Year to you and Del. We're both good thanks, how's life at Marco Towers?

I've been meaning to find the time to pop round for a visit and pick up the BD's I lent you, but work keeps getting in the way . The system's moved on a few steps since you last heard it, mostly due to the addition of a second Nak (one for left channels and one for right) and bolstered by new Schuko power cables, interconnects (some balanced) and Bi-Amping the main speakers. As usual it's still a work in progress, you'll have to pop round for a film night once things have settled down a bit
    Sorry to crash the Post Darren but could you let me know what mods were made to your Lentek Head Amp by Nick G? You could let me know PM if you don't want to continue on here.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Darren.

I honestly have no idea, I bought it off of Marco, maybe he can shed some light on it?
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm James.

I honestly have no idea, I bought it off of Marco, maybe he can shed some light on it?
    Ok.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

My sentiments exactly!

Hi mate,

We're cool. Had a great time over the festive period - hope you did, too! Nothing much changed here. Main system upstairs is the same, other than I've now taken delivery of Chris' new LDR, which I haven't had the chance to try yet. Would be interesting hearing it in your system sometime...

I've been tweaking the downstairs streaming system, mainly with some new cables from Supra (HD5 HDMI and CAT 8 Ethernet), and also installing an SR Blue 13A fuse (see here: https://www.synergisticresearch.com/fuses/blue/) into the Supra Lo-Rad mains distribution block, feeding the system, which is sounding *really* good now, the effect of some of which has also had a positive impact on the playback of movies

You're welcome to drop by anytime to collect the BDs (remind me which ones they were?) Would love to hear your system again, now you've carried out the tweaks, and the film night sounds great!

In all seriousness, we should do that, as I'm buying more BDs myself now, so we could have alternative film evenings, introducing each other to a new film on our respective home-cinema systems, then borrow the BD in question and watch it again on our own system - accompanied, of course, by a good curry and few beers!

Sounds fun, no?

Btw, if you like good Chinese food, the Eastern Sheraton in Wrexham is under new management, now called Great Walls, see here: https://www.google.com/search?q=grea...E,lf:1,lf_ui:9 Del and I have been twice, once for a sit-down meal, and also had a takeaway, and it's SUPERB! Knocks anything else in Wrexham, or surrounding area into a cocked hat. I'd give it a go. Collection only, though.

I'll bell you tomorrow and we can have a catch up.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Ok.
    Jim, I'm a bit tied up just now, but search the forum for anything under "Lentek head amp', the thread should pop up where I modded mine, and all the mods were listed

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 55 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast