+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Raspberry pi and the delights of invisible media!

I'm Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Its made me re-evaluate my whole perspective on vinyl

If I didn't have sentiment in 50% of my collection (were my dad's vinyl,) I'd flog the lot.
    Fair play.

I ordered one of the latest blue note tone poet releases from France. Came yesterday and its a faulty pressing which cost me £30. Its going back but just makes you wonder if its worth the hastle sometimes.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi Oliver
    Thanks to Alan i now have my pi.
    Having no time at all at the moment I'd really like to thank both Alan (Firebottle) and Oliver (bigman80). For all there help and input.
    Real Gents indeed.

Will get the chance to have a listen in the next few days and if it's as good as when i heard Oliver's it might be a case or selling my tt and albums.
    What a bummer.

Steve
    You're more than welcome mate and when you're ready to get the software up and running, well talk that through too.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    ive thought about getting rid of my vinyl and tt a few times, but it still does something digital can never do. feed my soul.

its just getting difficult to use now
    I've not missed the Vinyl, Grant.

I actually feel free from it like it was a chain around my neck because I was absolutely obsessed with getting the best out of it and spent hours listening, auditioning and comparing every component in the box. I bought everything I could get my hands on and tried everything.

What the Pi/Boss setup has done, is allow me to just get back to listening to the music. Not only that, the performance of it gives any vinyl I've heard anywhere a good taste of its own medicine. Its fluid, soulful and delightfully intricate but it does that foot stomping, face contorting (think guitar solos) connection with with music as well.

I'm enamoured with the Allo Boss and there is a Pecan Pi on the way too. I'll be comparing that and giving it a critical listen for Leo @OrchardAudio. I'd love to put a Katana into the mix too but I just can't spend at the minute.

In the last few weeks, I've amassed a digital library, 10x that of my Vinyl library and it's cost approximately £10. Yes, ethically it's questionable how I attained that library, but I couldn't care less, it's Fantastic that so much new music is available to me.

Imagine the cost of that on Vinyl!!!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MrB71 View Post
    Fair play.

I ordered one of the latest blue note tone poet releases from France. Came yesterday and its a faulty pressing which cost me £30. Its going back but just makes you wonder if its worth the hastle sometimes.
    Its not.

I *was* a die hard vinyl guy. There are so many flaws in the medium, warps, misalignment, vibration, wear and tear, off centre pressings, atmospheric deviation causing the cantilever to stiffen or loosen, to name a few.

Pi Digital has the edge on all of that and more. It's cheaper, easier to obtain and to be perfectly honest, in a good system, it performs better than Vinyl for those reasons alone.

I was spending a fortune and I've equalled (at least) the analogue performance for £300.

Vinyl still has that little bit of *something* I call intimacy, that I wouldn't want to give up just yet but I haven't played any vinyl for two months now. I was playing at least 2 hours a night previously.

It is the end of Hi-End. I'm absolutely convinced.

I'm Wayne.

Its not.

I *was* a die hard vinyl guy. There are so many flaws in the medium, warps, misalignment, vibration, wear and tear, off centre pressings, atmospheric deviation causing the cantilever to stiffen or loosen, to name a few.

Pi Digital has the edge on all of that and more. It's cheaper, easier to obtain and to be perfectly honest, in a good system, it performs better than Vinyl for those reasons alone.

I was spending a fortune and I've equalled (at least) the analogue performance for £300.

Vinyl still has that little bit of *something* I call intimacy, that I wouldn't want to give up just yet but I haven't played any vinyl for two months now. I was playing at least 2 hours a night previously.

It is the end of Hi-End. I'm absolutely convinced.
    Any chance of that ethical source link Oli? Could do with creating a digital library now

I'm Brian.

I've been using the music server Gary ( gazjam ) built me since 2011 and it still throws up some surprises . I installed two Duronic patch cables , which you guys recommended , this morning and have been rewarded by a very audible improvement in SQ . I've now ordered the 15m I need to complete the feed from my router to the music server . I have a telecoms engineer in the family who will complete the installation for me
    My turntable has been relegated to the loft and might be there for a while . Other plans for my money at the moment means trying the Pi setup may be a little while in to the future . I've been reading this thread , and all the developments , with interest for a while now though . Hopefully get down to yours for a listen in the near future Oli
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Grant.

I'm probably not as obsessed with perfection as you so I've not spent so much time chasing nirvana. But I know why you do, as I've been there.
    I didn't enjoy it so much so accept nothing is perfect.
    Being poor helped
    My vinyl isn't aa1 but it's pretty decent. As is my digital. I can see the day soon when I won't be able to use deck safely, so will have digital already set. I've over 800 albums on digital file. Got another 400 on vinyl which I will transcribe to digital as my phono does this well at 24/96
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Pavel.

In the last few weeks, I've amassed a digital library, 10x that of my Vinyl library and it's cost approximately £10. Yes, ethically it's questionable how I attained that library, but I couldn't care less, it's Fantastic that so much new music is available to me.
    But do you actually have time to listen to all that music?

I have discovered that even with the whole Spotify library at my disposal, I tend to listen to mostly the same things... I go into the exploration mode once in a while and usually add some new artists to my roster, but I'd say it happens 1-2 times a month at most.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MrB71 View Post
    Any chance of that ethical source link Oli? Could do with creating a digital library now
    Come and see me. Bring storage.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    But do you actually have time to listen to all that music?

I have discovered that even with the whole Spotify library at my disposal, I tend to listen to mostly the same things... I go into the exploration mode once in a while and usually add some new artists to my roster, but I'd say it happens 1-2 times a month at most.
    Well,, I'm currently listening to The Scorpions and I'm three albums into some pretty inoffensive 80s like rock.

Yesterday I discovered Mike Bloomfield

And Leo Kottke

I've enjoyed most of what I've heard but obviously there's a few lemons.

But just on to Linda Ronstadt (Whoever that is) and enjoying that too.

Its refreshing and yes, via vinyl I mainly listened to the same stuff. I'm LOVING the new library and I'm in absolutely no rush to get through all of it. I have a time to listen so I will.

BTW, this Linda Ronstadt MO-FI file is magnificently recorded.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast