+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Raspberry pi and the delights of invisible media!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Adam.

You’ll never leave the sofa again. Someone may find you in the distant future with 16,341 tracks playing on loop.
    The year will be 2021...
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Neal.

Stop describing it in terms of HiFi ‘speak”, what does it improve upon musically from your CDP? (BTW they are good aren’t they!)
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Stop describing it in terms of HiFi ‘speak”, what does it improve upon musically from your CDP? (BTW they are good aren’t they!)
    Ok........

Pi v CDP

Pi improvements over the CDP:

Soundscape. The width and hight of the sound produced extended beyond the limits of the speakers. Seems to create a feeling of listening to much bigger speakers.

Dynamics: the pi sounds more lively, more dramatic. Maybe even a little over the top. Like it need a snickers but it's great.

Stack and decay: piano notes last longer as the decay is easily heard, fading slowly rather than kind of, disappearing. Leading edges on the piano also sound very sharp and precise. Indicate no treble roll off or rounded sound. Not sure how you'd like me to describe that bit? Just quicker and cleaner.

Ease of use: never leave your arm chair again ! The sheer number of tracks available at your fingertips is superb.

CDP improvement over the Pi

Imaging: whilst the soundstage is smaller, it's easier to pick out the individual performers. They seem a little more realistic or 3 dimensional.

I'll add to this as I listen further.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    You’ll never leave the sofa again. Someone may find you in the distant future with 16,341 tracks playing on loop.
    The year will be 2021...
    Lol, it is addictive too. Finding myself listening to stuff I haven't heard for yonks. I have limited myself a little with the vinyl setup due to not wanting to hear what digital has done here before. This is a different experience. I thoroughly enjoyed bit. A tough task but it's achieved something 6 DACs and 8 cd players couldn't. Enjoyment.

I will add that the only reason I even attempted this was due to the Sony CD player I have. Macca left it with me and I have been using it, bought a few CDs and enjoyed them.

+ Reply to Thread