+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Raspberry pi and the delights of invisible media!

I'm inactive.

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick but never noticed a problem with Wifi for the RPi if only used for control purposes (play, pause, etc).

The processing is negligible and can't see how it has any effect on the music making process whatsoever.
    File transfer is a totally different ball game - absolutely pants in my experience and much better direct via ethernet.

That said, I installed IR receivers on mine for general play commands via remote so rarely use the phone/tablet route except for selecting albums.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick but never noticed a problem with Wifi for the RPi if only used for control purposes (play, pause, etc).

The processing is negligible and can't see how it has any effect on the music making process whatsoever.
    File transfer is a totally different ball game - absolutely pants in my experience and much better direct via ethernet.

That said, I installed IR receivers on mine for general play commands via remote so rarely use the phone/tablet route except for selecting albums.
    I found a major reduction in SQ with wifi

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I found a major reduction in SQ with wifi
    How do you control it ... and what has wifi got to do with 'raw files' you mentioned earlier?

Sorry - but genuinely confused and I really can't grasp what the set up is you are referring to ...

As far as I can make out Oli is using a USB drive directly attached to the RPi for file storage and access ... not an external NAS or anything that would require file transfer via wifi or even be remotely involved with wifi protocol other than selecting files for playback which would be done via the processor. Ethernet would make no difference whatsoever ... the files are being accessed/transferred via the USB bus.
    Last edited by mikmas; 12-01-2019 at 01:28.

I'm Grant.

Yup if WiFi is just for remote then it shouldn't affect sq. That said, even when I used mine exclusively with hdd I had mine on ethwrnet
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

SSD In the Pi so no need for the cable. I will be trying tidal when I can figure out how to do it on the pi.

Then, it will be wired.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    SSD In the Pi so no need for the cable. I will be trying tidal when I can figure out how to do it on the pi.

Then, it will be wired.
    Audirvana from pc. Might be able to cast it from phone too.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Then, it will be wired.
    In theory WiFi should not be an issue for files on devices that plug directly into a RPi. Problem is that it does impact on SQ. Not sure why?

I have also found that SSD devices don't sound as good as micro sd cards. I have no explanation for this either.

Geoff

BTW. Audivarna is superbly simple for using Tidal on a Pi!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Audirvana from pc. Might be able to cast it from phone too.
    Cheers mate, I'll have a look. Do I need to put that on the pi?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    In theory WiFi should not be an issue for files on devices that plug directly into a RPi. Problem is that it does impact on SQ. Not sure why?

I have also found that SSD devices don't sound as good as micro sd cards. I have no explanation for this either.

Geoff

BTW. Audivarna is superbly simple for using Tidal on a Pi!
    Ok, so sound quality is better via MicroSd than SSD? I can try that today too.

I'm Grant.

Cheers mate, I'll have a look. Do I need to put that on the pi?
    nope, just have the upnp etc on on the pi which should be on from default i think. av will pick it up on your pc and you select the pi as a dac . you can then alsio set the processing there too if you want. on av you just click connect to tidal and enter your password etc and it will pull in all your albums etc saved there to av. you can work the whole thing from av then, and sound comes out of pi to stereo. clever
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast