+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 55 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Raspberry pi and the delights of invisible media!

Bigman80 Guest

I've been on a bit of a relentless pursuit of Pi improvement. I started off with a early version of the Allo Boss DAC (not the 1.2v) and a Pi 2, this was enough to convince me that it would be wise to investigate this source more.

I decided to go mad. I bought the Boss 1.2v, Isolator 1.2, Pi 3+ and a Linear PSU.

The results were, In all honesty, staggering.

I'm not joking when I say, it made the Chord Dave pee it's pants with fear.

This whole setup cost me approximately £200. Outrageous.

Based on Jimbo's input, I decided to try upsampling. I downloaded Jriver and set it to something like 32/196. To my ears, it's a horribly shrill sound and removed the bass texture and pure Solidity that had originally won me over.

I spent a few days going down the entire sampling range untill I found 24/96. To me, it sounds superb. Huge soundstage but retained that solidity. Cool!

So what next. Well, more input from Firebottle suggested that using the same LPSU to power both Pi and Allo Boss "Could be a negative" I talked to Jimbo and he'd heard the best way to power this combo was a SMPS for the Pi and the LPSU for the DAC. I tried this but was never convinced that it sounded as clean/transparent.

I went shopping in Chi-Fi heaven and bought a second LPSU.

It arrived at a neighbors yesterday and I've been listening to it this afternoon. OMG. Its transformative in the way of making Eva Cassidy sound like she's in a bloody cavern!

I am really pleased with the second units contribution to this and will be thoroughly enjoying the digital aspect for some time to come.

I'm Brian.

Nice write up . How's it comparing to your vinyl set up Oli ?

I will probably be going down this route at some point and appreciate you and James sharing your experience
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    How's it comparing to your vinyl set up Oli ?
    I don't want to say.

Its a horrible feeling Brian. The Pi is so far ahead in terms of resolution, noise floor and solidity (think R2R levels of solidity) that I'm struggling to listen to vinyl at all.

Normally you'd say things like, "digital doesn't sound natural" but it really does in this format.

It's taken over my day to day listening and is continually opening up and showing more quality. I'm thinking the Katana might eradicate my vinyl habit completely.

I'm Brian.

That's some statement fro a ' dyed in the wool ' vinyl man Oli . I've been into digital for some years now , however , there's always been elements of vinyl which I've always been attracted to . If your set up is that good I think I will be investigating the Pi sooner rather than later .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    That's some statement fro a ' dyed in the wool ' vinyl man Oli . I've been into digital for some years now , however , there's always been elements of vinyl which I've always been attracted to . If your set up is that good I think I will be investigating the Pi sooner rather than later .
    I don't make that statement light, Brian.

I went to great lengths to get the best from Vinyl and don't get me wrong, it's stunning but you can't compete with the inky black background is digital and the only thing digital was lacking was fluidity and naturalism. Allo have nailed it IMHO.

For the money, I just can't see a downside and I'll just reiterate, I came away from a £200,000 system with about the same spent on the listening room with an M-scaler and a Chord Dave Signature model and felt everything the Allo Boss did well, the Dave didn't.

I'd take the Allo over the Dave. Not saying one is better, than the other, just that I'd take Allos idea of what digital can do over Chords.

I'm James.

I hope my LPSU is waiting for me when I get back into work on Tuesday! They must have been on the same flight?

The Allo Boss 1.2 /Pi3/Isolator 1.3 is a conundrum. How does someone take the humble Pi which is apparently awful to listen too and attach a sublime HAT ( BOSS DAC) and Isolate it from the negative aspects of the Pi to become a killer Network player/ DAC.

Yep Oli is right this combination with a couple of LPSU running the DAC and Pi separately will give you the most listenable digital sound I have heard period.

Those guys at Allo nailed the Boss to extract the best possible digital to analogue conversion through excellent clock timing and careful orientating of power supplies throughout especially to the analogue stage.

I could write a review on the Pi / Boss but that will come later when I get my head round the whole journey. Although I can hear all the benefits and astounding accomplishment this set up can achieve I still have some reservations which I need to think about , however this £200 combination (£300 with 2X LPSU) will give you a digital sound up there with the very best at a fraction of the cost. As Oli says it takes the piss out of the big boys.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 21-04-2019 at 19:42.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I hope my LPSU is waiting for me when I get back into work on Tuesday! They must have been on the same flight?
    One would hope so.

Oh, and that lack of deep bass at higher levels of upsampling has been repaired slightly by the second LPSU.

Cool.

I'm Steve.

Hi Oliver
    As you know I've not got a great deal of time for anything at the moment but I'm really looking forward to getting mine from a very kind man who ordered and assebled it.
    Hopefully some time soon,and will get a little time to get familiar and have a listen..

Steve...
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi Oliver
    As you know I've not got a great deal of time for anything at the moment but I'm really looking forward to getting mine from a very kind man who ordered and assebled it.
    Hopefully some time soon,and will get a little time to get familiar and have a listen..

Steve...
    I know Steve. Yes, it'll be a surprise to your ears after listening to a CD player

I'll pop a link on here to the PSU if it's of interest. The 2 together really make a difference.

I'm James.

You are in for a surprise Steve and guarantee your jaw will drop when you get it all set up. It is a sonic marvel for the money and it would still be considered great at 10 times the price.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 55 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast