+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 55 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Raspberry pi and the delights of invisible media!

I'm Ian.

Jriver/Media Center/NAS (all in one on laptop) > Ethernet Cable > Router > Ethernet Cable > Volumio

Mmm, still don't totally understand this - where's the Raspberry Pi? Presumably the NAS is outputting to the Pi acting as DAC which is running Volumio. In which case can't you go straight from the NAS (connected to internet) to the Pi and miss out the router in the chain or have I totally misunderstood this setup?

I once had a Pi with digiamp connected to a Vortexbox which worked very well as a second system but I'm now happily using a Zen Mini into an Eastern Electric Minimax DAC. Trouble is your Damascene conversion from vinyl to digital is getting me interested in the Pi/Allo combination you've been talking about.

I'm Grant.

music goes from pc via ethernet to the router then on to pi running volumio. then on to amp
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    Jriver/Media Center/NAS (all in one on laptop) > Ethernet Cable > Router > Ethernet Cable > Volumio

Mmm, still don't totally understand this - where's the Raspberry Pi? Presumably the NAS is outputting to the Pi acting as DAC which is running Volumio. In which case can't you go straight from the NAS (connected to internet) to the Pi and miss out the router in the chain or have I totally misunderstood this setup?

I once had a Pi with digiamp connected to a Vortexbox which worked very well as a second system but I'm now happily using a Zen Mini into an Eastern Electric Minimax DAC. Trouble is your Damascene conversion from vinyl to digital is getting me interested in the Pi/Allo combination you've been talking about.
    I don't know how to explain it better I'm afraid lol

Right.

The music storage and upsampling is done via software called Jriver on the laptop which is connected to the router with the new ethernet cable.

The Pi/Allo Boss is connected to the router by another new Ethernet cable.

I control the Pi via Jriver which turns Volumio into a renderer I believe.

That is how I have them all connected.

I *could* connect the USB storage with the music files directly to the Pi and use Volumio to play back the files BUT it doesn't sound anywhere near as good that way.

USB connection should be absolutely avoided whenever possible IMO.

Yes, you and everyone else should absolutely be interested. Its undeniable once heard.

I'm Ian.

Thanks Oliver, I understand better your system and reasoning.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    Thanks Oliver, I understand better your system and reasoning.
    No worries. I'm still new to this but usb wasn't optimal and doing the setup this way have far better results.

I'm Neil.

Default Raspberry pi and the delights of invisible media!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    No worries. I'm still new to this but usb wasn't optimal and doing the setup this way have far better results.
    It’s a really nice setup you have. I also agree that USB is not the best way. USB seems to smooth over and lose dynamics compared to good SPDIF or in-DAC clocking. It’s why I switched from USB to SPDIF to an Allo DigiOne Player and a BNC cable.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    It’s a really nice setup you have. I also agree that USB is not the best way. USB seems to smooth over and lose dynamics compared to good SPDIF or in-DAC clocking. It’s why I switched from USB to SPDIF to an Allo DigiOne Player and a BNC cable.
    Thank You!

Soundstage collapsed here too. I can't remember who said to avoid USB but they were spot on.

I'm James.

I don't know how to explain it better I'm afraid lol

Right.

The music storage and upsampling is done via software called Jriver on the laptop which is connected to the router with the new ethernet cable.

The Pi/Allo Boss is connected to the router by another new Ethernet cable.

I control the Pi via Jriver which turns Volumio into a renderer I believe.

That is how I have them all connected.

I *could* connect the USB storage with the music files directly to the Pi and use Volumio to play back the files BUT it doesn't sound anywhere near as good that way.

USB connection should be absolutely avoided whenever possible IMO.

Yes, you and everyone else should absolutely be interested. Its undeniable once heard.
    Once heard Oli, I think most folk listening to digital set ups will appreciate how great this set up sounds.

As you have done with your analogue system you have painstakingly put this together, listening to each addition/improvement on the way and evaluating whether it works or not.

I can vouch for Oliver's set up as I have an exact replica except I use Audirvana as the server software.

The SQ from this set up cannot be underestimated as it can compete with both of our analogue systems and sometimes beat them. And for me it is the analogue nature of this digital system that is the killer deal as I compare it constantly with my vinyl set up.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Once heard Oli, I think most folk listening to digital set ups will appreciate how great this set up sounds.

As you have done with your analogue system you have painstakingly put this together, listening to each addition/improvement on the way and evaluating whether it works or not.

I can vouch for Oliver's set up as I have an exact replica except I use Audirvana as the server software.

The SQ from this set up cannot be underestimated as it can compete with both of our analogue systems and sometimes beat them. And for me it is the analogue nature of this digital system that is the killer deal as I compare it constantly with my vinyl set up.
    It's superb and a ridiculous bargain.

Yes, we've kind of gone in tandem on this journey and whilst i accept one could get swept up with enthusiasm, i genuinely feel a little bit sick when i think of the performance i get from this digital rig for the cost Vs what my Analogue system provides for nearly 11x the price. Both have an area they do that the other can't but i am serious when i say, has i heard this Pi setup 5 years ago, Vinyl would never have got off the ground here.

I'll always play vinyl but this is the future for investment and searching for improvements for my money.

BTW the "analogue sound" transfers as Fluidity to me. This rig has the ability to trick you into forgetting its digital at all. Wizardry.

I'm James.

It's superb and a ridiculous bargain.

Yes, we've kind of gone in tandem on this journey and whilst i accept one could get swept up with enthusiasm, i genuinely feel a little bit sick when i think of the performance i get from this digital rig for the cost Vs what my Analogue system provides for nearly 11x the price. Both have an area they do that the other can't but i am serious when i say, has i heard this Pi setup 5 years ago, Vinyl would never have got off the ground here.

I'll always play vinyl but this is the future for investment and searching for improvements for my money.

BTW the "analogue sound" transfers as Fluidity to me. This rig has the ability to trick you into forgetting its digital at all. Wizardry.
    I agree Oli, it can certainly trick you into forgetting its digital. Having spent quite sometime listening to a fair number of digital systems this one is up there with the best.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 55 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast