+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 546

Thread: Raspberry pi and the delights of invisible media!

  1. #21
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 87,131
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Strange that a CDP from yesteryear has been the most enjoyable digital experience but it really is very good to my ears.
    I concur, as that's also been my experience, and not strange at all when you understand the valid reasons why!

    Newest/latest isn't necessarily best, with regards to many things in life, not just hi-fi......

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

  2. #22
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 87,131
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    Yes, definitely better with two PSUs. That is, one 5V supply to the RPi and a separate 5V supply to the DAC.
    ...and also run a fully-regulated linear PSU, for the hard-drives supplying music files to the Pi (electrically/mains-generated noise is the biggest enemy of any file-based system, so it should be addressed and minimised *wherever* possible in the replay chain).

    Cheapo SMPS units fatally hobble streaming set-ups like you wouldn't imagine. Quite simply, they have no place whatsoever, ANYWHERE, in a high-end audio system!!

    Doing the above (in conjunction with installing Supra CAT 8 patch cable, see here: http://www.jenving.com/products/view...tch-1001908589 throughout, instead of bog-standard stuff from Maplins) resulted in one of the biggest upgrades I've applied to my streaming set up!

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

  3. #23
    Join Date: Mar 2014

    Location: KY - Scotland

    Posts: 4,228
    I'm Mike.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Are you going to get a HAT for your Pi Oli?

    https://www.allo.com/sparky/digione.html reviews look good and a no brainer to up the performance.
    He's already bought my Allo Boss DAC from the loan I gave him

  4. #24
    Join Date: Sep 2011

    Location: Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland

    Posts: 434
    I'm stuart.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Are you going to get a HAT for your Pi Oli?

    https://www.allo.com/sparky/digione.html reviews look good and a no brainer to up the performance.
    I have a Digione feeding the DAC in my Perreaux 250i (ES9038Pro) and it's stunningly good. I must have tried 7 or 8 HAT Dacs before settling on the Digione. The Digione is fitted to an RPi with screen in an Audiophonics RaspTouch case :



    and the music is stored on an SSD connected to an RPi running Logitech LMS. Both have their own linear supplies.

  5. #25
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 4,667
    I'm James.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    He's already bought my Allo Boss DAC from the loan I gave him
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

  6. #26
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 8,865
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Hi Jim,

    Yes, Mike and i made a bit of a deal for the DAC for a bit of cable for his Mission arm. Suits us both with minimal cost!

    I am immensely impressed with the Allo DAC and Mike suggests his Piano DAC is better so i may try that before i send the rest back lol. Might have to make another deal

    In terms of upgrades, i have a PSU on the way with 2x5v outputs so i can use a powered USB hub with the music files on so i should be fine for some time. Maybe when i a up to speed with all the setup etc, i will have a look at whats comes next.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3+/Allo Boss 1.2/Isolator 1.3 & 2x LPSU's with Volumio & JRiver
    Amplification: Nelson Pass DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Krell KSA100 MK2 Amplifier
    Cables: SPOTFIRE Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A
    Price List For SPOTFIRE Cables here:https://bit.ly/2Uxiv3j

    Alternative reading: http://www.audioaddictsforum.com

  7. #27
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 4,667
    I'm James.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Hi Jim,

    Yes, Mike and i made a bit of a deal for the DAC for a bit of cable for his Mission arm. Suits us both with minimal cost!

    I am immensely impressed with the Allo DAC and Mike suggests his Piano DAC is better so i may try that before i send the rest back lol. Might have to make another deal

    In terms of upgrades, i have a PSU on the way with 2x5v outputs so i can use a powered USB hub with the music files on so i should be fine for some time. Maybe when i a up to speed with all the setup etc, i will have a look at whats comes next.
    Sounds good plan mate. Ripped files via the Pi should sound great. I found accurately ripped files sounded better than CD.
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

  8. #28
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 8,865
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Sounds good plan mate. Ripped files via the Pi should sound great. I found accurately ripped files sounded better than CD.
    Well, I'm going to rip a few CDs so it should be ok.

    I need to find a solution to connect a HDD. Via a powered usb hub or board.

    Anyone know of something suitable?
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3+/Allo Boss 1.2/Isolator 1.3 & 2x LPSU's with Volumio & JRiver
    Amplification: Nelson Pass DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Krell KSA100 MK2 Amplifier
    Cables: SPOTFIRE Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A
    Price List For SPOTFIRE Cables here:https://bit.ly/2Uxiv3j

    Alternative reading: http://www.audioaddictsforum.com

  9. #29
    Join Date: Oct 2017

    Location: Ontario, Canada

    Posts: 792
    I'm Svend.

    Default

    Interesting thread, guys. I've been intrigued by the Pi since recently hearing one as the main source at the Neat speakers room at October's Toronto audio show. The rep, a very nice fellow from the company's UK HQ, was very keen on it. It sounded excellent. And I must say it sounded quite a bit better than his previous source (PC and DAC) that I heard at the 2017 show, playing through the same speakers. The latter made the tweeter in the speakers (Iota Explorer) sound brittle and harsh, but all was sweet using the Pi. Pretty remarkable difference.

    A few questions, if you don't mind (and pardon my lack of knowledge here; I'm starting where Oliver was a few weeks ago... )

    What are the options for user interface? PC or Mac? Tablet?

    Does it sound better than a simple PC --> DAC --> Preamp setup? Reason for this question is that I already have a couple of surplus laptops, and could easily buy a simple good quality DAC for reasonable money and be done with it...plug and play, basically. But if sound quality is superior, then I'd go for the Pi.

    Speaking of preamps, mine only has unbalanced RCA inputs - how do I connect a Pi to this?

    And speaking of sound quality, have any of the CD players you're comparing it to been modded in any way? i.e. discrete clock boards, op amps, etc.? I have a modded Teac VRDS-10 which had these upgrades done, and it sounds outstanding. It would be interesting to know a bit more about your CD players, just as a frame of reference.

    Thanks, and regards,
    Svend

  10. #30
    Join Date: May 2016

    Location: Notts

    Posts: 2,209
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    +1 in Digione. At its price point the standard Digione is unbeatable vfm!

    Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    I have a Digione feeding the DAC in my Perreaux 250i (ES9038Pro) and it's stunningly good. I must have tried 7 or 8 HAT Dacs before settling on the Digione. The Digione is fitted to an RPi with screen in an Audiophonics RaspTouch case :



    and the music is stored on an SSD connected to an RPi running Logitech LMS. Both have their own linear supplies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •