+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audacity Advice

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I looked at audacity but decided it was all going to be more work than it was worth. I just buy the CD or use tidal was my answer.
    I'm with you if there's a CD with a good transfer - though sometimes there isn't and perhaps recording from LP is a better option - if you have the time and patience. Some LPs made from tape have been reissued in CD format, but the original tapes have deteriorated badly, and recordings from LPs probably do get much better results. Where the masters are good, or the masters are digital, there isn't really much point in trying to squeeze quality out of an LP by home digitisation. However, each to his/her own! It's fun to try - once!
    Dave

I'm Matthew.

Default Vinyl Studio

If it's not too late, I would urge you to try Vinyl Studio.

It's idiot-proof (I've tried it on myself!). Not expensive and there's a free trial.
    "The hi-fi fraternity is bizarre, full of dangerous amateurs" Tim de Paravicini Audio Magazine 1995
    "Objective measurements in audio are primary, but they are useless unless they have been subjectively validated as predictors of musical accuracy Edgar Villchur Stereophile 2005
    " What we cannot measure, we do not know" Lord Rayleigh

I'm John.

Thanks Matthew, I will try Vinyl Studio.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm Mick.

Im an audacity fan, it does everything i need for free.
    Gets regular updates, has a huge fan-base lots of info and support available.
    Easy to use, etc. I export as wav 192khz 24bit

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by serendipitydawg View Post
    If it's not too late, I would urge you to try Vinyl Studio.

It's idiot-proof (I've tried it on myself!). Not expensive and there's a free trial.
    Agreed, I use Vinyl Studio with a Schitt Jil ADC and get very good results.

VS is great as it will download track and covers from discogs which results in a very good rip with good metadata.
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Edward.

This thread brings back lots of happy memories. About 20 years ago (good grief time flies!) I ripped probably two dozen LPs and was most happy I did so. However the process was quite cumbersome and took probably 2-4 hours each LP. The results were very nice and overall was very satisfying. I did pop/click removal, background noise removal, normalising and track/meta management - all at the highest possible resolution and bit rate both at the capture and save stages.

However I would probably not do this again given that most material has now been released on either CD or good quality downloads both using original master (or near master) tapes. On the rare occasions a LP is not available digitally usually someone has done a LP rip using top quality equipment and a well proven process.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Mick.

I open the files with the media player Foobar, which will do the same, download track info and covers from discogs attaching the same metadata.
    Haven't tried Vinyl studio does it do anything better or extra than Audacity?
    Is there an easy way of splitting an album into individual tracks? That would be nice.

I'm Tony.

VS splits the tracks according to either silence between tracks or on the expected track split provided by the meta data.

Its then an easy job to adjust this yourself.

The value of VS is its simplicity of use...
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12