+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audacity Advice

I'm John.

Default Audacity Advice

Hi

I’m looking for use Audacity to digitise a number of LPs.
    Can anyone advise or else point me in the direction of a previous
    discussion on this subject before I dive in.

Thanks
    John
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm inactive.

I use Audacity and quite enjoy the process - however it is laborious and the software lacks some of the automated features found in others such as Vinyl Studio, Pure Vinyl, etc.
    Splitting tracks and entering metadata are two of the most obvious chores but Audacity also lacks an automated 'tick removal' system. It does have filters than can be set up to do that but I have never managed so do it manually.

Like I said, I enjoy the process and (being retired) have oodles of time ... but YMMV

I'm inactive.

... also handy if you have an AD converter that allows the strength of the signal being fed to Audacity to be varied, not all do that.

I'm Grant.

There is Wavosaur as well. think its still free
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Thanks Mike. I’ve just retired also - so my Winter job-list includes cataloguing all my LPs, singles and CDs on Discogs, as well as digitising the LPs that I can’t find already in a digital format!

I think I’ve cracked setting track labels on Audacity - it is slow but not terrible.

What Hz rate do you use and do you export as MP3 or WAV?

Cheers
    John
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.

I'm John.

Thanks Grant - i’ll Take a look.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by johnB View Post

What Hz rate do you use and do you export as MP3 or WAV?
    I record at 24/96 and save as AIFF as I find it keeps metadata better across different devices - however my TV only recognises WAV or MP3 for playback but I usually convert later if needed.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    I use Audacity and quite enjoy the process - however it is laborious and the software lacks some of the automated features found in others such as Vinyl Studio, Pure Vinyl, etc.
    Splitting tracks and entering metadata are two of the most obvious chores but Audacity also lacks an automated 'tick removal' system. It does have filters than can be set up to do that but I have never managed so do it manually.

Like I said, I enjoy the process and (being retired) have oodles of time ... but YMMV
    1. Not sure about tick removal - there may be a filter which will do this, or someone may have produced a plug in. The noise removal can be useful, for example for removing/reducing mains hum, or turntable rumble - not that anyone round here will have those. It is possible to overdo the noise removal, but if a short section of "quiet" is used as the noise signature in Audacity the results can be rather good. If you try this, try with differing degrees (percentages?) of noise filtering, until you find a level which works for you. Some recordings have hum built in. Perhaps they were made when the companies were a bit slapdash, or thought that most punters wouldn't notice or have kit good enough to reproduce that. I have some digital downloads of earlier recordings which are like that - so didn't pick up any hum or rumble from me.

2. Re oodles of time - you probably won't have that for long - but good luck if you do.
    Dave

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    There is Wavosaur as well. think its still free
    It seems to be free - see https://www.wavosaur.com/

However, it's a Windows program, and may only work with earlier versions. I mostly gave up Windows years ago, and I'm not rushing back to try it again.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

I looked at audacity but decided it was all going to be more work than it was worth. I just buy the CD or use tidal was my answer.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast