+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wanted: lightweight headshell

I'm Graham.

Default Wanted: lightweight headshell

Hi,

Looking for a light rigid bayonet headshell. Something along the lines of an ADC LMG-1 at 7.5g should do the job. Must be in good condition.

Let me know what you have !

Graham

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    Hi,

Looking for a light rigid bayonet headshell. Something along the lines of an ADC LMG-1 at 7.5g should do the job. Must be in good condition.

Let me know what you have !

Graham
    9g rather tha 7g but I've been using one of these with high-ish compliance cartridges and been very pleased with it for the money. Available in silver, red, blue and black.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ortofon-S...5bM0:rk:2:pf:0

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The Techie style (1200mk2) shell is light and surprisingly rigid. Easily 'upgraded' with posher cartridge wires too and fairly cheap... Mine aren't even Technics originals although they copy the pattern really well.

The later SME 3009 style shell full of holes had thicker metal and a flat mounting surface while still being moderate mass. It's identified by the finger lift riveted on the side of the shell and the cartridge screw heads not being inset slightly in the top as earlier ones were, the finger-lift sandwiched between cartridge and shell indents. Earlier SME shells thus had a 'void' above the cartridge, which was successfully filled with the black goo (black-tac? although it's more of a thick paste consistency than sticky plasticine) they supplied, which damps out the hf 'zing' brilliantly I found.

I wouldn't say the LMF1 shell is 'low mass' as such, but yeah, it's not as massy as some favoured here like the Sumiko shell of old.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    9g rather tha 7g but I've been using one of these with high-ish compliance cartridges and been very pleased with it for the money. Available in silver, red, blue and black.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ortofon-S...5bM0:rk:2:pf:0

Hi Tom, funnily enough just been offered one of these so now sorted!

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The Techie style (1200mk2) shell is light and surprisingly rigid. Easily 'upgraded' with posher cartridge wires too and fairly cheap....
    I was considering this option as the original Techie headshell is well made and looks the part on an SL-150. My only reservation is the recessed mounting slots. Using proper hexagonal nuts instead of the funny round nuts supplied by AT, I prefer to reverse the screws to avoid the nut from damaging the cart body. But the nuts dont fit into the recessed slots of the Techie headshell. So I think I would prefer a headshell without recessed mounting slots.
    Last edited by graham67; 06-01-2019 at 20:04.

+ Reply to Thread