+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cartridge Suspension

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Robert.

Default Cartridge Suspension

I've learned loads so much over the years when it comes to hifi and actually thought I'd learned all I need to know in particular regards tt-tonearm-cartridge-stylus setup.

Having recently had my Cadenza Black re-tipped I've been as happy as a pig in poo once I'd set up and found that joyous sweetspot.

Have had the best replay from my system and had told myself that that was it, time to savour every moment.

Simply switch system on, pull out an album, play and bask in the delights there of.

All had been going to plan but as is with these things ..........

I noticed the other day that the sound was not what it was which was fabulous.

There was a splashiness to the presentation and less of the pin point focus, separation and out and out rightness I've been spoilt with.

What I've learnt, realised and never ever considered at all, is that after the initial re-tip / re-build and subsequent burn in, the suspension has also settled / loosened up then after daily service over the weeks.

Christmas in particular saw some serious tunes being spun, including some that were not as flat as I usually obsess over, but hey ho it was Christmas and I got through a ton.

So, as much as I hate having to do it I have to go at final vta adjust to nail that sweetspot again.

Another lesson learned - In this game, it looks like changes will naturally occur over the course of time, suspension, wear and even temperature all play a part.

All have an effect which means that set and forget is not always a given after set up has been done - things can, may and do still change, right up until the end of the stylus's useful life.
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 05-01-2019 at 11:19.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread