+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultrasonic Cleaner for LP Vinyl - £349.99

I'm mark.

I know Tim, we're close enough to be bake-off buddies. Been nice to see him develop his cleaner, from fag packet drawings to using his own small CNC machine in the man-shed.
    One of Us as a hobbyist trying to make the tunes sound better

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    I know Tim, we're close enough to be bake-off buddies. Been nice to see him develop his cleaner, from fag packet drawings to using his own small CNC machine in the man-shed.
    One of Us as a hobbyist trying to make the tunes sound better
    Can you persuade him to apply his know-how/CNC machine/man shed to developing an affordable vacuum drying solution?

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlemaker View Post
    Can you persuade him to apply his know-how/CNC machine/man shed to developing an affordable vacuum drying solution?
    This is what you want or similar. A cheap wet/dry vacuum about £40 from Argos. Purchase a cheap broken turntable and remove the arm. You make your own vacuum wand from the corner vacuuming attachment. You make a small slit in it about 1.5mm wide so that it covers the vinyl area of the record, drill a hole near the end same size as the TT spindle, a reasonably tight fit. With some impact water proof adhesive, I used evo-stick, you glue 2" wide luxury velvet ribbon over the slit and then cut a slit along it with a stanley knife where you have cut the slit in the plastic. Then tape up the end carefully with some gaffer tape, I do several layers and then open the hole up where the tape has gone over it. You now have a record vacuum wand, and can replace the velvet if it gets worn out from cleaning many records. Get some dense foam rubber, I purchased some with sticky back on it, get an old record and then make a support for the wand to stop it wandering, and to hold it so the velvet just touches the record surface. The pad you can see is to spread the fluid you use is a cut down emulsion paint pad, they have very fine hairs and do not shed them, are cheap and as soon as they discolour for cleaning you can just through away and replace with a new one. Have a different pad for each different fluid you use, and I would recommend soaking them in Isopropyl Alcohol after each cleaning session for around 5 minutes and them vacuuming off with the wand to get touch dry. You will need some 500ml dispensing bottles, these are available on ebay/amazon with curved plastic like straws that when you squeeze the bottle the liquid comes out. Alternatively purchase some glass spray atomisers for around £3-4 each, if using L'Art du Son mix then store in a dark coloured glass bottle it will help stopping it reacting and going off. You can use the atomisers to dispense the fluids onto the record and will save on waste.

Recommended cleaning fluid on many vinyl sites is a mix of 20% Isopropyl Alcohol(99.9% purity), 80% Distilled Water and 5ml ILFORD ILFOTOL WETTING AGENT (5ML ENOUGH FOR 1L) see https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINYL-RECORD-CLEANER-RECIPE-PLUS-ILFORD-ILFOTOL-WETTING-AGENT-5ML-ENOUGH-FOR-1L/292881670249?epid=2160693250&hash=item44311ba069:g :3toAAOSw8d5ZS-LT:rk:1f:0

I also use L'Art du Son mix, after as I find a combination of cleaning fluids works best. I also rinse after each mix with distilled water to remove and residue and will hoover dry after each fluid application.

If the record is very dirty or stubborn then leave each cleaning fluid to soak 3-5 minutes, do not leave it to evaporate, you may need to repeat the process several times. In rare circumstances I have used a strong fairy liquid mix, this will definitely degrease the record and break down dirt but you need to rinse the record at least 3-4 times to ensure all of it is removed, it will not damage the vinyl, then use the other fluids.

I spin the record manually as I feel you have more control and I do not fancy having liquid around live electrics. I use the DiscoStat to stand the records in between cleaning with different fluids, I never put them in the stand wet I always vacuum off before replacing back in stand. I also where latex gloves, primarily to stop me touching the records with my skin and transferring grease. Finally after cleaning put record into a new poly-lined liner. Do not wipe the surface with any form of cloth, which I used to do, after cleaning many records I have determined that no matter how clean and dust free you think it is it won't be and you will transfer dirt dust back onto a clean record. If you don't believe me get a strong LED light and shine it from the side on the record and observe the marks and dust, from a freshly wiped record with a micro-fibre cloth.

That is about it, and you can get going for about £80 and be very effective cleaning.

Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm paul.

I did something similar but used vpi suction piece with mount and spring, comes as a replacement part for when the velvet wears out.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Tim.

If any of you are interested in an affordable, reliable ultrasonic cleaner feel free to contact me.

I'm Mike.

I'm a bit late to this party, but I got my ultrasonic cleaner from a guy in Liverpool through eBay, it comes with a fan type drying tank, so in use you would unclip the turning mechanism which clips over the top of both the cleaning and drying tank, it works well and records are dry in less than 5 minutes.

In my opinion the key is clean fluids, I noticed after cleaning about 5 or 6 LP's particles were visible in the fluid and there was a definite difference between an LP cleaned in fresh and one cleaned in used solution, my resolution was to install a filter system that removes particulates down to 1 micron and run a filter cycle after every clean cycle.

Regarding fluids I use a 70/30 mix of distilled water and IPA and about 2 tablespoons of Ilfotol per full tank, I've tried expensive distilled water but didn't see any difference between it and the cheap stuff from the supermarket.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm stuart.

What is the filter system you use, have you got a link?

I'm Mike.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12