+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Technics 1200GR vs Further mods on existing 1200MK2

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've pointed out numerous times that Rega arms are a pain on Techies, but nobody listens.

It's not even a decent sounding combo, but if people have heard nothing better they wouldn't know.
    I've had a listen to an SL1210 with a Rega arm and it was excellent. Which is not to say you couldn't fit a better arm than a Rega ofc.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've had a listen to an SL1210 with a Rega arm and it was excellent. Which is not to say you couldn't fit a better arm than a Rega ofc.
    I have as well, and Origin live and all worked well.
    Regards Neil

I'm Kevin.

I had an AO modified RB251 and it sounded fine. The sound is not in question, but the arm lift was very annoying.
    It was replaced by a Funk FX1200 which is in another league in my opinion.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've pointed out numerous times that Rega arms are a pain on Techies, but nobody listens.

It's not even a decent sounding combo, but if people have heard nothing better they wouldn't know.
    These might be your conclusions, but what are your descriptions on this combination to come to that conclusion if we may ask ? We heard about the cue mechanism issue.

Oh, and turntable do not make a sound (hopefully). So are tonearms not even though they both have a "sound signature". The cartridge do make sound.

Hence the combination of cartridge to tonearm are the combination reference. Tonearm to turntable often quoted as but less in theory maths match. So more open to "creativity".
    - Cart Denon DL-102 in bakelite Ortofon SPU 'G' type headshell
    - TA SME 3009 'Improved' converted in heavy mass with detachable headshell
    - TT Thorens TD160 'E' totally tweaked driven by an 'Eagle & RoadRunner' PSU & tachometer combo
    - Matts top to bottom: leather, cork, felt & 12" vinyl
    - Pre-amp 'Modulis' Isem
    - Amp 'Exampli' Etalon 2x40W
    - Speakers 12" Leak 'Sandwich' first generation creatively recapped

I'm Chip.

Thanks to all for the constructive and helpful replies. I decided to hold on to my modded 1200 for the time being as I enjoy the sound and music that I'm hearing so that's enough for me (for now)

I have the same issue with the arm lift which can be annoying but its an inconvenience that I'm willing to put up with until I have a record collection big enough to justify a turntable upgrade.

I'm currently on the fence about the outboard PSU upgrade, there seems to be polarizing views on this as some people claim sonic benefits (blacker background, etc) and others hear no benefits at all. So I did some research and found a local guy that has installed 1 or 2 outboard PSU upgrades on 1200's and this is what he told me: unless you have the hearing of a dog or a horse I wouldn't go through with it.

I think the PSU upgrade applies to those experiencing audible hum which is not the case of my 1200.
    Last edited by chipcalzada; 14-01-2019 at 05:11.

I'm John.

I would recommend a SoundDeadSteel mat underneath the Acromat, to damp down the platter.

But then you would need the raise the arm, although that might help with any issues with the lift.

Regards,

John

I'm John.

Silly me, just remembered, I had a Michell Tecnoarm (which is Rega based) on it in that configuration (SDS+Achromat) and there were absolutely no problems with operating it.

John

I'm Chip.

Quote Originally Posted by jda99 View Post
    Silly me, just remembered, I had a Michell Tecnoarm (which is Rega based) on it in that configuration (SDS+Achromat) and there were absolutely no problems with operating it.

John
    Hi John,

I'll look into the SDS mat, thanks for the suggestion. What would you say it added to the sound quality besides properly damping the platter?

I'm John.

If you go to www.sounddeadsteel.com/HIFIWORLD ISOPLAT REVIEW, you will find HiFi World review of it.
    It was considered a bargain at £100.
    Just make sure to get the version for the Technics 1200 which is slightly smaller in diameter.

Regards,

John

I'm Stephen.

You might also want to consider the SDS damping puck while you're on their website. I have been extremely impressed with the sonic improvement over my previous Bruil weight. My thoughts of it here: https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...22#post1046422

Steve
    Always a little further

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast