+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Technics 1200GR vs Further mods on existing 1200MK2

I'm Chip.

Default Technics 1200GR vs Further mods on existing 1200MK2

Hi all, this is my first thread. I have an existing 1200MK2 with the following mods: Rega 251 arm with michell tecnoweight, upgraded IC's (van den hul), isonoe feet and funk firm achromat. My cart is an AT PTGii MC and my phono stage is an eastern electric minimax phono. I'm already getting good sound however a friend that came over to listen commented that my cart would be a better match with an arm that has VTA since the stylus is sensitive to VTA.

My original plan was to proceed with my upgrades consisting of the KAB psu and a new bearing (undecided as to which one) as well. Upon checking the price of both upgrades I thought I could stretch my budget and get the 1200GR which allows the VTA adjustment and is easier to swap out cartridges as well.

I've read on another forum of a gentleman who had the 1200mk2 with all the KAB upgrades and then bought the 1200gr and said that it sounded "slightly" better i.e. more refined in the treble and louder. Has anyone gone through the same upgrade path? Is it worth getting the new 1200gr instead of adding mods?

Thanks in advance.

I'm Andrew.

Very few people (if any) on here have "upgraded" to the gr deck. I would assume they are happy with the 1200/1210 in a modded guise.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Too many mods may well affect resale value as it's a long discontinued model and not standard if you go too far. Not sure an RB251 is the best arm choice for this thing either (happy to be corrected). The new model is expensive in forum terms and maybe, just maybe, that's one reason few have bought one (the 1200mk2 series could be got new for Rega 3 money here in the UK and there used to be a good supply of fair-condition used ones to keep prices low for a while). Technics aren't probably selling anything like the number of units they used to, now the DJ fraternity has moved on, so that may play a part in the pricing of the current model, which may have motor 'dynamics' better suited to domestic vinyl playback.

Just some thoughts. By the way, you can fine tune VTA on cartridges like this by adjusting playing weight 1/10g either way - equivalent to a mm or two up and down at the pivot I gather...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Hugo.

I do very much recommend the SL-1200GR and indeed upgrading it; and following my own experiences I wrote a blog piece on my website here https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/is-it-w...0gr-turntable/ . The new SL-1200 decks have motor units that are technically and subjectively (in my view anyway) significantly better than the old models, and it’s only surprising that Technics took so long to adopt the direct drive motor topology favoured by Kenwood etc 30+ years ago! The new Technics decks have real musical grace.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Very few people (if any) on here have "upgraded" to the gr deck. I would assume they are happy with the 1200/1210 in a modded guise.

I'm Chip.

Thanks for the replies. @Dsjr David surprisingly the Rega 251 tone arm works well with the techie. I had mine installed before I found out about possible mods to the original arm. I forgot to point out on my first post that the fellow that bought the new GR said that there was only a slight improvement from his modded 1200mk2 to the GR. Point being I’d rather implement mods slowly and grow my record collection rather than splashing out for the new GR. But if the difference in SQ is huge then will bite the bullet so to speak.

I'm David.

I have read the only mod needed on the new Technics is the KAB damper, ok and maybe the tonearm cable.

I'm Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by chipcalzada View Post
    ...commented that my cart would be a better match with an arm that has VTA since the stylus is sensitive to VTA.
    There are VTA spacers mods parts exiting out there for the Rega 251 tonearms if ever. Just dig out on the net some and you might find different options. There's mat thickness and shims as well...

Turntable to tonearm combination can be a match or not so much but the cartridge/tonearm resonance is a much more critical combination point on the resonance factor for optimal performance.

The Technics tonearms are not my cup and are admitted by some of the SL-1200's defenders to be their "weakest" feature on the phono point of view. The GR's are even of the lighter mass kind.

Keep on modding your old Techie IMO.
    Last edited by tlscapital; 08-01-2019 at 16:13.
    - Cart Denon DL-102 in bakelite Ortofon SPU 'G' type headshell
    - TA SME 3009 'Improved' converted in heavy mass with detachable headshell
    - TT Thorens TD160 'E' totally tweaked driven by an 'Eagle & RoadRunner' PSU & tachometer combo
    - Matts top to bottom: leather, cork, felt & 12" vinyl
    - Pre-amp 'Modulis' Isem
    - Amp 'Exampli' Etalon 2x40W
    - Speakers 12" Leak 'Sandwich' first generation creatively recapped

I'm Kevin.

Would a Michell VTA adjuster fit?
    I had an RB251 arm on an SL1200 and I found it clumsy due to the positioning of the arm lift.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Would a Michell VTA adjuster fit?
    I had an RB251 arm on an SL1200 and I found it clumsy due to the positioning of the arm lift.
    I've pointed out numerous times that Rega arms are a pain on Techies, but nobody listens.

It's not even a decent sounding combo, but if people have heard nothing better they wouldn't know.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mel.

Totally disagree Geoff.

You may not like them but many of us do.

Have I heard anything ‘different’ - my Orbe with SME V and Ortofon Kontra b.

There is no ‘better’ items in HiFi world - only ‘different’ ones to appeal to different tastes.

Mel
    Last edited by Cycleallday; 08-01-2019 at 17:16.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast