+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tesla ECC83 vs Telefunken ECC83 - Christmas mini bake off

I'm James.

Default Tesla ECC83 vs Telefunken ECC83 - Christmas mini bake off

A little Christmas HiFi ambition this year was to compare some ECC83 Tubes - NOS Telefunken vs NOS Tesla. I have had a pair of matched Telefunkens sitting in the cupboard for a month or so now but not had time to compare them against the Teslas I currently use.

The tubes I swapped were in the phono stage of my Croft 25 R+. I have had many many tubes in this position and Teslas have simply bested everything that has come along by some margin, however NOS Telefunkens have a reputation and are just about the only serious ECC83 contender I have not tried, until now!

After a warm up period the Telefunkens filled out a little as they sounded a bit lean when first installed. But how did they compare to the Tesla NOS ECC83? Could they improve on these marvellous little beauties. In a word yes but with some caveats.

So to give you an idea of NOS Tesla ECC83 tubes they are are so clear, transparent and detailed with just the right amount of weight and warmth without sounding too lean. They give you an incredible insight into the recording and tell you everything. They are not romantic and let you hear everything warts and all. They are musical and with the good recorded material they deliver an incredible transparency with a hint of ethereal valve magic.

The NOS Telefunkens delivered a tad more detail and maybe a little more clarity with amazing imaging. They seem to be able to separate out every strand of the recording with ease. Teslas are a little behind in this respect and sound tiny bit distorted. The Telefunkens however have a little less fullness/weight. They are certainly dynamic and super clear and dare I say they seem to reveal more detail. Finally I would say the Telefunkens take the sound stage half a step back. Recorded ambience and acoustic information is highly impressive.

I will be leaving the Telefunkens in for some time to get a complete handle on their ability but I do feel the NOS Teslas have met their match!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

You should try some CV4004s I had telefunken in before the cv4004 replaced them.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

I am not too keen on Mullards Andy as they are a tad warm and cosy for me although I do like some aspects of what they do.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Justin.

Tesla ECC803S versus Telefunken ECC803S and I sold the Teles. So close to each other the Teles weren't worth keeping. The Teles cost nearly 10 times the price at the time.

I'm James.

The Teslas and Telefunkens are very close and I paid about the same for each.

I'm Justin.

Actually I had an EAR preamp that came with Telefunken PCC88. I swapped them out for Tesla PCC88 and sold the Telefunkens.

Quids in I thought. Made a bit of money. No real loss in SQ of any substance.

I'm John.

Let me know if you decide to sell the Teslas, Jim!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlemaker View Post
    Let me know if you decide to sell the Teslas, Jim!
    I may have some Teslas for sale as I have quite a few. I will let you know John.

I'm Justin.

Jim it might be worth trying the Tesla ECC803S against the Tele 83.

I've never done that, though. So no guarantees.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Jim it might be worth trying the Tesla ECC803S against the Tele 83.

I've never done that, though. So no guarantees.
    I have not seen the Tesla EC803s Justin but will check it out. I think there maybe a new JJ Tesla version but not seen a NOS Tesla ECC803s. I have been using Tesla ECC83s for some years and as they have been manufactured over quite a long period there are many variations out there. Funnily enough I found my modern 1970s Teslas better than some older late 60s Tesla ECC83s.

There must have been a high point in their manufacturing when everything they learnt came together to produce a superb valve. Knowing or finding which one could take a lifetime!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast