+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pre/Power Amp Issues

I'm John.

Thanks to all your words of wisdom I've decided against changing the Rotel improvised preamp and going for a new dac. I've looked at the Beresford Caimen and the Cambridge DACMADIC 100 and the MAGIC 100 Plus. The later uses upsampling, which I'm suspicious of, and the other Cambridge only plays up to 96kHz files, so I'm leaning towards the Beresford. Anyone got experience of any of these dacs?

John
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Marantz CD6006/Cambridge 650T DAB
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp
    Atlas Element Integra Superior inter-connects
    Spendor SP1s(1988)/Van-Damme UP-LCOFC HiFi 4mm cable

I'm Martin.

Some DACs incorporate a pre-amp too so you could kill two birds with one stone.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNB View Post
    Thanks to all your words of wisdom I've decided against changing the Rotel improvised preamp and going for a new dac. I've looked at the Beresford Caimen and the Cambridge DACMADIC 100 and the MAGIC 100 Plus. The later uses upsampling, which I'm suspicious of, and the other Cambridge only plays up to 96kHz files, so I'm leaning towards the Beresford. Anyone got experience of any of these dacs?

John
    Just making a left field suggestion but you might want to consider a Quad Vena as well ... it has a range of digital in/outs, 2 x analogue in, Bluetooth and can be used as a pre-amp or, on its own, as an integrated. I have one and the performance on all fronts is excellent. I have used it as a preamp with a Quad 405-2 .... phenomenal.

Quad have just brought out a new 'beefed-up' version with added Phone Stage so the original model is likely to be available 2nd hand fairly easily and at a reasonable price. One was sold on AoS just recently for £350, which will be about the going rate I would think.

I'm John.

I'll look out for a 2nd hand Vena Mike. Good suggestion
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Marantz CD6006/Cambridge 650T DAB
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp
    Atlas Element Integra Superior inter-connects
    Spendor SP1s(1988)/Van-Damme UP-LCOFC HiFi 4mm cable

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12