+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre/Power Amp Issues

I'm John.

Default Pre/Power Amp Issues

I've have an old Rotel RA-01 integrated amp brought back to life and noticed it had a pre-amp out facility so I coupled it to my Roksan K2 integrated, using this as the power amp. I'm really pleased with the results. The sound quality seemed to move up a gear or two - louder, more responsive, more clarity and generally more umph. I have been discouraged from going down the pre/power route in the past by my local dealer, but I'm so impressed with the improvement I would like to understand what's actually happening sound wise. Am I listening to the Roksan power section only, with the Rotel providing the input and controls etc, or is the sound produced by a combination of the two amps? It would appear to be the later. The Roksan delivers 120w a channel, so more than adequately drives my speakers, but together they push the power way beyond my speakers capabilities. I therefore seem to be driving them with more control to good effect.

I can't imagine going back to an integrated amp now and I'm looking ahead to replacing the Rotel with a more modern and versatile pre-amp, i.e. one with digital inputs. Advice and guidance on whether people think I'm going in the right direction and are there any potential pitfalls I should be aware of, for instance, have I got lucky with my pairing and would some combinations not work so well. Eager for your thoughts.
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Marantz CD6006/Cambridge 650T DAB
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp
    Atlas Element Integra Superior inter-connects
    Spendor SP1s(1988)/Van-Damme UP-LCOFC HiFi 4mm cable

I'm Grant.

Hey if it's sounding great why change. I you might not get the same synergy again. I at a guess the pre output may well be higher than the rocsans own pre
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

Hi John
    Similarly I am a firm believer in the separate pre /power amp approach. Like you I tried a old Rotel RA611 by stripping almost everything out of it
    other than its transformer - I then built it up as a dedicated preamp. It was far better than other combinations... but that was over 12 years ago.

Since then I have dedicated most of my time to attenuation as a serious subject using Light Dependent Resistors. Marco has one of these builds,
    awaiting a review.

If you can suggest you try a passive preamp - the reasons are that there is much higher chance of your source component providing what it can
    rather than its Left and Right signal enroute to your power amp being changed by other electronics disguised as a preamp.

Ldr's present a exciting form of passive as they remove the mechanical wiping or switching of audio signals seen with switched attenuators
    and potentiometer based passive volume controls.

I'm Rob.

For me, the pre/power vs integrated is all about budget. That is a good integrated is better than a poor pre/power and on a tight budget it is easier to find a good integrated than a pre/power combo that would better it.

Of course the next question is what constitutes a tight budget. Personally, if buying new, I'd suggest less the £1000 as a finger in the air estimate. That is, if you have an £800 budget and want to buy new, you're likely to find what you want by going the integrated route. With some of the latest American kit (Schiit and Emotiva for example) that ceiling drops a little.

Second hand things get a little more interesting. I'd suggest it's roughly around £400.

Of course there are exceptions (very good expensive integrated, and some second hand bargains if you're willing to search at the opposite end). Also if you hunt around a passive pre-amp can be picked up remarkably cheaply, but they don't suit everyone - or every power amp/sources. It really all depends how much effort you put into it.

Another factor is whether you want to go down the valve route. Valve power amps bump the ceiling up significantly.

And the opposite is that if you have a large budget, it's easier to find a good pre/power combo. Ultimately, pre/power is better - mainly I believe because they don't share the same power supply.

Lastly pre-power can add more flexibility - more inputs, a variety of inputs that match your sources (digitial, line level, and phono).
    Last edited by ReggieB; 02-01-2019 at 22:20.
    Rob.