+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tannoy Revolution XT6F @ £699

I'm Bruce.

Default Tannoy Revolution XT6F @ £699

Hello,
    There are some deals around at the moment and Im looking for a bit of advice on a new set of speakers.
    Thinking of getting the Tannoy XT6F as they seem to have some good reviews and may sit well with my Rega ELEX R amp and P6. Also came across a review in What HiFi where they set out a £3k system with the Rega RP6 and the same amp that I have. https://www.whathifi.com/features/be...-system-ps3000

Currently running Ditton 33 and they have a great sound (sound OK to me) but with only a set of Ditton 120 and Tannoy 603 to put them up against, I am unsure if they are at their best. I would also like to get something new rather than used.

I have up to £800 as a budget and the Tannoys seem good value at £699.

Any suggestions or comments?

Cheers
    Bruce

I'm Phil.

bruce , there are always deals on speakers , no rush to buy . get a listen before you buy so you can hear them . tannoy are great but for many years i avoided the rooms with them in as i found them bright . however i run a pair now which are just superb .
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Martin.

I'm sure the Tannoy's are competent although moving from the Ditton 33 to a speaker with 'modern' voicing might be a bit of a shock.

Personally I'd go for something second hand, £800 will buy you some very good speakers in that market.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by bonus View Post
    Hello,
    There are some deals around at the moment and Im looking for a bit of advice on a new set of speakers.
    Thinking of getting the Tannoy XT6F as they seem to have some good reviews and may sit well with my Rega ELEX R amp and P6. Also came across a review in What HiFi where they set out a £3k system with the Rega RP6 and the same amp that I have. https://www.whathifi.com/features/be...-system-ps3000

Currently running Ditton 33 and they have a great sound (sound OK to me) but with only a set of Ditton 120 and Tannoy 603 to put them up against, I am unsure if they are at their best. I would also like to get something new rather than used.

I have up to £800 as a budget and the Tannoys seem good value at £699.

Any suggestions or comments?

Cheers
    Bruce
    i would suggest hearing them first, but if then you like, buy.. they are good speakers
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Bruce.

Unfortunately, there is nowhere local for me to listen to them. I have thought about new crossovers for the Ditton's as well, there are some on eBay for £100.
    However, I've just seen Peter Tyson have the Tannoys for £499, box damaged but speakers ok. I'm going to get them and if I don't like them I'm sure to get my money back at that price.

Thanks all for your advice

I'm Phil.

well keep us informed how you get on , sounds quite a bargain
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Edward.

In addition to auditioning/buying more speakers do also consider replacing the capacitors in your Ditton 33s. Cheap to do (far cheaper than buying the crossovers from eBay) and relatively easy to do. You may be surprised how much improvement you will hear. I'm assuming your Dittons have not had their caps renewed.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Bruce.

New speakers received and very happy with them.

They sound great and look good too. Now I am busy playing all sorts and enjoying them.

Purchased from Peter Tyson via ebay for £499, I think that is a bargain, they have more as well.

Edward, I shall be replacing the capacitors, I just need to know best type to get. I looked inside the cabinet and they do look original. Ill post some pictures and start a new thread.

cheers

+ Reply to Thread