+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Dr Who fans?

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    And also The Tomorrow People... Remember that? I always wanted a 'jaunt belt'!

Great theme tune! As indeed were many others from the 1970s.....

Marco.
    I liked a lot of the Tomorrow People, some episodes were poor, but many very good. The more modern reboot was fairly good as well.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Regarding labelling things 'childrens tv' to dismiss any possible quality or enjoyment factor older folks might find in them is off, as I feel a good story is a good story and should hold its own regardless.

Classic so called Childrens TV included wonderful stories, that are challenging, and thought provoking. For example, the Children of the Stones, TimeSlip, and The Changes to name a few.

Sure DrWho was originally sort of a childrens show, but it rapidly became more of a family viewing show, than exclusively a kids show, the time slot gives that fact away. Good stories as I said above are good stories regardless and classic who has had many more than new Who.

Some don't like a female Dr, and actually I don't mind that, I thought I would, but I don't, but what I do mind is the awful writing and lack of a decent story in this just completed series.
    Regards Neil

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I used to be a Doctor Who fan and it was a huge part of my growing up in the 60's, but unlike the broader audiences of the 60's and 70's, the last 'Series 11' was aimed at young children I thought, I didn't find the female actress gave any 'gravitas' to the role at all and any half decent marks I gave on the Planet Mondas forum (usually 5/10 or lower) were for the production quality and usually improved incidental music which tried to capture some atmosphere missing in the acting. I honestly thought Bradley Walsh acted the others off the screen myself... I started watching in December '63 (first Dalek story) and to see what the show has turned into is a bit upsetting to me. Load sof other older fans feel the same and it's rumoured that behind the scenes isn't all sweetness and light either and 'Chibbers and Whitaker' may not last beyond the next 2020 season... My son and I cringed all through the NYD episode a few days ago!

For me it's the Daleks and the one mostly missing story that showed how good they could be was 'Masterplan,' - episode 2 is a good indication of how terrifying my eight year old self found them and my memories of episode 12 are still vivid, the rapid ageing, death and her skeleton crumbling to dust of Sarah Kingdom all but burned into my psyche - would probably look tame now, but not then. The Big Finish audios of 'Dalek Empire' are superb as well and can sound great on a good stereo...

I enjoyed the original Tomorrow People series' as a teen, especially the early story with Kevin Stoney in (Mavic Chen, Tobias Vaughan and other characters in Doctor Who). Not sure if it isn't a bit patronising when viewed today - I have a video somewhere I must dig out... Ace of Wands is another classic, but the masters have mostly been destroyed now..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I liked a lot of the Tomorrow People, some episodes were poor, but many very good. The more modern reboot was fairly good as well.
    Yeah, I loved it - always something I looked forward to watching. Like you say, Children of the Stones was great, too. Surprised no-one else, from our generation, has commented on these programmes?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yeah, I loved it - always something I looked forward to watching. Like you say, Children of the Stones was great, too. Surprised no-one else, from our generation, has commented on these programmes?

Marco.
    guess we are all children of the stones
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Regarding labelling things 'childrens tv' to dismiss any possible quality or enjoyment factor older folks might find in them is off, as I feel a good story is a good story and should hold its own regardless.

Classic so called Childrens TV included wonderful stories, that are challenging, and thought provoking. For example, the Children of the Stones, TimeSlip, and The Changes to name a few.
    I agree (Del and I enjoyed many of the wonderful children's animations, shown over Christmas), although there's Children's TV and 'Children's TV', some of which now is just too 'kiddified' for adult viewing, and such is the way Dr Who has become, certainly for me. There's no 'depth' to it now, either in terms of story lines or the acting/production. Therefore, try as I may, I can find little now that 'hooks' me.

Sure DrWho was originally sort of a childrens show, but it rapidly became more of a family viewing show, than exclusively a kids show, the time slot gives that fact away.
    Indeed, and as a kid there were elements about it, such as I've highlighted, that were *genuinely* scary, unlike today's version, which I doubt would scare anyone watching but the very youngest of children...

However, I find that's the case, not just in terms of things being scary, but the 'watchability', for adults, in general, of Children's TV programmes today, compared with what existed in, say the 50s-70s. Most of the material shown now is 'dumbed down' to the point of abject banality, and is so pathetically stupid that it's pretty much unwatchable for adults of any intelligence.

That's not the case with a lot of the material produced during the above era, which for me is much cleverer, but sadly it reflects the education system now in general, which has been similarly 'dumbed down', thus has created children's TV programmes that aren't as challenging as they once were, simply because the intended audience likely won't have the capacity to appreciate it...

Some don't like a female Dr, and actually I don't mind that, I thought I would, but I don't, but what I do mind is the awful writing and lack of a decent story in this just completed series.
    Like you say, the standard of writing and level of 'creativity' is woeful, which is primarily why I now find the show unwatchable, and also because it's now become more of a children's fantasy adventure, than a proper sci-fi series, as it once was.

I wouldn't have minded there being a female Doctor *if* it had been done for the right reasons, rather than simply one of political correctness, which the pandering to annoys the shite out of me. Or if her appointment had added something positive and/or beneficial to the programme, which for me hasn't been the case - more like the exact opposite, and destroying the vital dynamic/relationship between a male Doctor and female assistant, which the show had always been founded upon.

Let's just hope that the much younger audience Dr Who's aimed at now embrace and enjoy its new concept, as I suspect that it's now of little interest to folks of our generation (or older), or if not, this once great TV show will, sooner rather than later, be destined for the scrapheap.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

my son is nearly 40 but still loves it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm steve.

Default Any Dr Who fans?

Mr favourite Doctor/companion combination was Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper, they only lasted one series which was a real pity, got all the DVDs, certainly stands repeat views, the script writers did a really good job on that series, quite spellbinding, don’t think it’s been equalled since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by steve-z; 05-01-2019 at 16:07.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    my son is nearly 40 but still loves it.
    Has he seen the best stuff from the Pertwee and Tom Baker era, to compare it with? If so, I'm sorry, but he's got no taste!

Marco.

P.S Is he, by any chance, a Harry Potter fan?
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    Mr favourite Doctor/companion combination was Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper, they only lasted one series which was a real pity, got all the DVDs, certainly stands repeat views, the script writers did a really good job on that series, quite spellbinding, don’t think it’s been equally since.
    Yes, that's a good shout, and in many ways I agree with you, but for me still not a patch on the quality of the show, during its heyday, which I've mentioned.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast