+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap Weather For January!

I'm Grant.

Many of our cars are not great in it tho. And we can't use chains as you'd cut the tarmac and ruin your suspension.
    Changing to studded tires in winter helps but not everyone can afford 2 sets of tyres and switching etc.
    Problems this country has is it gets shitty wet snow that can become impassable quickly but you never know when you'll or if you'll get it.
    Austria Switzerland Canada etc all know pretty much where when how much every year. You can plan for that
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Sure mate, but it also helps if you reduce your speed and leave more space than usual between you and the car in front, not to mention ensuring that your car (brakes and tyres especially) are roadworthy!

Too many clueless idiots going around in 'sheds', and who are simply incapable of driving in snow or ice - and also who ignore the warnings, in bad conditions, of staying at home unless their journeys are unavoidable!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sure mate, but it also helps if you reduce your speed and leave more space than usual between you and the car in front, not to mention ensuring that your car (brakes and tyres especially) are roadworthy!

Too many clueless idiots going around in 'sheds', and who are simply incapable of driving in snow or ice - and also who ignore the warnings, in bad conditions, of staying at home unless their journeys are unavoidable!

Marco.
    Most definitely. You need to practice skids etc too. When I was young I used to take the car up to the industrial estates and find a quiet spot. Then test how me and car reacted to various situations, finding out what I could do and more importantly what I couldn't..
    Far too many, and by that I really mean 90% of drivers stop learning anything good about their ability after they sit a test.
    It's hey I'm perfect now where they they then get even worse that they really were coz the don't try to learn. Controlling a skid is not hard but you need practice
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Marco.
    All of my journeys are unavoidable, it's how I get to work and get paid. Snow is lovely if you don't have to be somewhere, and you can just wrap up warm and get out in it, or look at it from a toasty vantage point. Not so nice when you drive to work in the dark and come home in the dark. By weekend it'll just be a load of grey slushy crap
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    All of my journeys are unavoidable, it's how I get to work and get paid. Snow is lovely if you don't have to be somewhere, and you can just wrap up warm and get out in it, or look at it from a toasty vantage point. Not so nice when you drive to work in the dark and come home in the dark. By weekend it'll just be a load of grey slushy crap
    ...which is why I wasn't referring to you, or journeys you make (or others like you) to work, but rather folk who could conduct their non-essential journeys at another time, and so should stay at home if the snow is really bad. Of course I agree with your latter point, but what about on your days off? Also, don't you ever drive for pleasure - what about your trip to Shrewsbury?

If you've nowhere to go and just chilling at home, which is partly what you should be doing on your days off, then you can enjoy the snow the same as me

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Most definitely. You need to practice skids etc too. When I was young I used to take the car up to the industrial estates and find a quiet spot. Then test how me and car reacted to various situations, finding out what I could do and more importantly what I couldn't..
    Far too many, and by that I really mean 90% of drivers stop learning anything good about their ability after they sit a test.
    It's hey I'm perfect now where they they then get even worse that they really were coz the don't try to learn. Controlling a skid is not hard but you need practice
    Yup (on all counts), and I did the same. My driving instructor was a customer in my dad's shop, so 'went the extra mile', as it were, when preparing me for my test. He was pretty thorough, and even taught me aspects about the engine and the importance of maintaining correct tyre pressures.

In terms of the bit in bold, too true - and that situation isn't helped by cars now, brim-full of tech, doing much of the 'driving' for the drivers!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    You are right on Grant. Everyone who drives on snow and ice should learn to skid. And then when you buy a new car, learn it again so you know how it reacts. When our daughters were learning to drive we would take them to the high school parking lot on weekends and let them loose doing donuts, skidding, sliding sideways. Great fun, but they learned a ton.

I suppose not many cars there have snow tires? Not studded or chains I mean - just snow tires? Insurance companies here give 10% discount if you fit them to your car....basically pay for themselves over a few years, so everyone can afford them - no excuse not to. If none of you have ever driven a car with them, they are amazing -- it's like you're glued to the road. Even rear wheel drive performance cars, which would normally be in the ditch at the first snowflake, grip like 4WD with a set of snows fitted.

I'm Steve.

...which is why I wasn't referring to you, or journeys you make (or others like you) to work, but rather folk who could conduct their non-essential journeys at another time, and so should stay at home if the snow is really bad. Of course I agree with your latter point, but what about on your days off? Also, don't you ever drive for pleasure - what about your trip to Shrewsbury?

If you've nowhere to go and just chilling at home, which is partly what you should be doing on your days off, then you can enjoy the snow the same as me

Marco.
    Oh yes, we do get out for pleasure drives sometimes, and they are the occasional "avoidable" journeys we wouldn't undertake if the weather were to make driving hazardous. Anita does most of the driving on these pleasure trips as she really loves driving (which is her was of telling me my driving is shit-boring, without actually saying it). True, I am a bit more cautious than her, but anyway I prefer her to drive, as I like to look out at the scenery as we go, something I can't properly do when driving.

As I said though, re. the snow, It never seems to be here at weekends, in the same way that the nicest sunny weather is normally on days when I have to work.

Lake District is looking nice at the moment so may take a run up there at weekend, but as my work is pretty quiet at the moment thanks to some "office politics" with my main customer, which I won't bore you with here, I'm having to watch the pennies
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    You are right on Grant. Everyone who drives on snow and ice should learn to skid. And then when you buy a new car, learn it again so you know how it reacts. When our daughters were learning to drive we would take them to the high school parking lot on weekends and let them loose doing donuts, skidding, sliding sideways. Great fun, but they learned a ton.

I suppose not many cars there have snow tires? Not studded or chains I mean - just snow tires? Insurance companies here give 10% discount if you fit them to your car....basically pay for themselves over a few years, so everyone can afford them - no excuse not to. If none of you have ever driven a car with them, they are amazing -- it's like you're glued to the road. Even rear wheel drive performance cars, which would normally be in the ditch at the first snowflake, grip like 4WD with a set of snows fitted.
    You can get them but here we often don't get enough snow so you have them on, they wear out quick and tear up the roads or you crash coz the cars stability is all over the shop.
    Mostly folk will fit all weather's or winter ones if they can store the summer ones.
    Trouble here is you never get the same weather and it changes fast.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adam.

Marco.
    I agree with all if this but, unfortunately when the snow compacts and starts to resemble an ice rink, and your household has two rear wheel drive cars that won’t actually move on a surface like this, the whole thing becomes a moot point!

I also agree with the staying at home and enjoying the day idea. Trouble is, whilst my workplace is also fine with staff not taking unnecessary risks in this sort of weather, they still deduct the day from your holiday allowance. I’d much rather use my holiday for planned days off!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast