+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nagaoka MP-500 Phono Cartridge Thoughts and Opinions

I'm KEVIN.

Thanks for all the informed information

I'm Mike.

I read a review recently somewhere on the Nag v Black (but I think it was the MP150 or 200) but remember the conclusion that there was little in it, as least in regards to presentation. Different arms, phono stages, loadings and even decks, let alone partnering kit. One can only get a general impression and my fairly recent eureka moment was putting my donkey's years old VMS20E mk 2 onto my 12" Ace Anna and totally forgetting I was playing a cheapo m/m is the wrong mass arm ! I'm used to Proteus and Urushi and the like. Hence the interest in Nagaoka. Okay, the m/coils are a cut above, but not the amount I would have expected.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    I read a review recently somewhere on the Nag v Black (but I think it was the MP150 or 200) but remember the conclusion that there was little in it, as least in regards to presentation. Different arms, phono stages, loadings and even decks, let alone partnering kit. One can only get a general impression and my fairly recent eureka moment was putting my donkey's years old VMS20E mk 2 onto my 12" Ace Anna and totally forgetting I was playing a cheapo m/m is the wrong mass arm ! I'm used to Proteus and Urushi and the like. Hence the interest in Nagaoka. Okay, the m/coils are a cut above, but not the amount I would have expected.
    Neither MP150 or MP200 will compete with the 2M Black.

The MP-500 is Nagaoka's flagship mm, hence it is so often compared with the 2M Black, Ortofon's flagship mm.

One other forum user expressed his experience of the two as below.

The Nagaoka is luxurious and romantic sounding. It is rich in the midrange and throws a wide holographic soundstage. The Ortofon is more precise and clear sounding and not quite as euphoric. I hope that makes sense!

They are both stellar trackers.

I've read a fair few other comments over the years in regards to comparison of these two. The common observations are similarly that both are very good carts, 2M Black being more on the precise side of the two, the MP500 being sweet, romantic, lush, more coloured of the two.

As I say, both good and liked, but different - depends on if you want more or less flavour included with the music I'd say
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Mike.

Nagaoka state that the stylus degrades after 500 hours, but don't say how much?

Was enough to put me off buying one to try out.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post

If thats what they say and it is actually true Mikey then yeah, thats a joke - one for the guy who plays an album on Sundays only
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Mike.

My Nag MP200 replacement stylus was only £100 direct from Japan, for a cart costing £260 (or £380 + in the UK!), that's very cheap. I'm guessing there would be a similar price difference with the MP500.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    If thats what they say and it is actually true Mikey then yeah, thats a joke - one for the guy who plays an album on Sundays only
    I argued with someone on one of the forums that it couldn't be right as 500 hours would take me a few months lol.

But I hunted about and it was right enough, mind you I'm pretty sure it really only meant a slight wear as I'm sure they all do after a few hundred hours so what it really meant I've no idea

I'm Mike.

I found one reference but it states 120-150 hours before it degrades but I'm sure it must be a misprint. However the got I argued with was adamant that 500 hours was the correct figure. But it must be wrong surely.

New replacement styli are £350-360

I'm Mike.

I found one reference but it states 120-150 hours before it degrades but I'm sure it must be a misprint. However the got I argued with was adamant that 500 hours was the correct figure. But it must be wrong surely.

New replacement styli are £350-360
    £185 from Japan.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EMS-Shipp...kAAOSw9GhYmf04
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Big difference even taking into account any fees

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast