+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nagaoka MP-500 Phono Cartridge Thoughts and Opinions

I'm KEVIN.

Default Nagaoka MP-500 Phono Cartridge Thoughts and Opinions

Hi everyone and happy new years
    I'm considering buying a Nagaoka MP500 cartridge to go on a Jelco SA 750 DB tonearm that is
    mounted on a Technics SL 1210 M5G table.
    I have never heard a Nagaoka cartridge before so if anyone has tried the above setup or have
    any thoughts or opinions on this cartridge please let me know.

I'm jamie.

ive had one in the past,i enjoyed it,ive also had a 2m black which it competes with. they are both very good,the 2m though is notorious for set up,if i went MM again i think id give the mp500 another go.
    the only downside is the mp500's cost.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm KEVIN.

Thanks for your reply I have had a 2M Black a Dynavector 20x2 homc and a Goldring 2500 all were very good cartridges
    the Nagaoka is more of a try something different exercise.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Try TonyL across on the PFM forum, he has one on his main turntable on an SME 3009. I think the Nag replaced a 2m Black and is preferred.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Graham.

I have owned the Nag500 with a jelco 750 and although possessed of a lovely rich tone, nice bass and good timing I found the top end unnaturally curtailed. I just wanted more top end extension at all times as it sounded too shut-in.
    I quickly sold it and replaced it with an AT-150SA which is a stunning MM and at the time hugely cheaper. The current equivalent is the VM750.

I'm Martin.

I have one on a Technics SL1200, its very good. I don't find the top end to be curtailed although I suppose depends what you are comparing to but I don't like a rolled off sound so it can't be too bad. Had most of the Nags over the years. If I was doing it again though I'd go for the MP300 not the 500, the 500 is very good but the 300 just has a little bit more balls to it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Bob.

I had an MP500 a couple of years ago.

In my system it gave a very lively presentation, "full on" everything all of the time which eventually became a bit tiring. It's hard to say what was missing or exactly what was so wrong but ultimately I couldn't live with it - so close and I still can't properly figure it out, but it just wasn't for me. Closest I can get is that maybe it was just a tad too toppy with too much "energy" trying to escape. Masses of detail flooding out.

I'd say if your system needs livening up this would be a great cart to try. Probably very sensitive to VTA adjustment.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Adam.

I like the MP-500 a lot but found it just a little too-over smooth at times for my liking. I would still take a 2M Black over it, personally.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm James.

I have heard the MP-500 and it is a nice sounding cartridge however I prefer the extra zip to the top end my 2M black has. The MP-500 is easier to set up and very smooth with a slightly fuller body than a 2M Black but the 2m sounds more alive and brings the performer to life and into your room. Well almost into your room!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Mike.

I've had the Nag 500 and the 2M Black. I preferred the Black, as the more detailed, natural sounding cart. As has been said before though, it is an utter swine to set up optimally.

I preferred the AN IQ3 to either the Nag or the Black and, If I went MM again, would be very tempted to give the VM750 a try.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast