+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi All,

I'm Lou.

Default Hi All,

Hi, Just to introduce myself to the forum, I've been away from amps and speakers and the like for around 30 yrs or more, after decking out my "man cave" as the missus calls it.... (hate the expression myself) I thought of going back to my roots as they say and get back into having a nice set up....something I can just get lost in and not bother about whats happening with the country (dont mention the "B" word) or how my stocks and shares are doing (I wish).....

So, after a bit of contemplation, Ive decided to start off with a amp and build from there.... having no gear at the moment leaves me to find out just whats on offer and it was by doing a bit of digging that I stumbled across this forum.... so I'm open to views on makes and such like... my last set up was mainly Bang and Olufsen, with a additional Tandberg reel to reel.... In fact I still have the gear across at my parents... so I may well just drag a few items out and add them in to the new gear ...so to speak...I'm not looking to blow the doors of the place... but more to add in some retro music whilst relaxing... One of the biggest issues I can see me having.... is size of area.... the "Den" as I call it is only 10 x10.... so its not exactly the Albert Hall.... but its dry, comfy and warm.... and I have plenty of sockets around the place....

Music wise.... well anything really..... mostly 80's and 90's stuff.... with a bit of nice jazz added in is all it takes to please me.....

From the username some of you may well notice that I like my JBL speakers.... yes please.... but only old skool ones.... Ive always wanted a nice pair of 4355's but sadly Ive never had either the room or the dosh to acquire them..... maybe just one day I will get there,

Anyway, I will leave it at that for now....

Kind regards

Lou

I'm Martin.

Hi Lou, you are not too far away from me I guess?

Tandberg and B&O is all very good quality kit today same as it ever was. Keep that and buy your dream JBLs. We sometimes get affordable (like under a grand) classic JBLs up for sale here so keep a look out.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Graham.

I use 4311 in a room not much bigger with gik bass traps in corners. They produce a lovely room filling sound perfect fir 80s pop, rock, dance, electronica. Also, the later l40 should be a perfect size for your room.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Lou. Welcome to AOS.

Assembling a new system from scratch gives you a lot of options. The only real constraint is your budget. I'm sure our members can give opinions on any prospective purchases.

Take a look around the site and join in any chat that interests you.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Lou.

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks to all who replied for the warm welcome, I'm pretty sure I am going to enjoy this forum, seems like there is a wealth of experience and knowledge on hand for info regarding future buys.... which for someone who has been out of the hobby for so long is a really good source... I will obviously do the same.... if I can be of help or be assistance to anyone then it will be a pleasure........ so cheers all...

BR,

Lou..

p.s. Macca, I'm around 5 miles from Alton Towers....

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Lou.

I would follow Martin's advice - retrieve the B&O equipment and try to find a pair of JBLs within your budget. We have several fans of JBL speakers here, who I am sure will be only too pleased to advise you.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry

(In the mean time here's a photo of your aspirational JBLs:

Barry

+ Reply to Thread