+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How good should a phono stage be?

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The Paradise is one of the best phono stages I have heard Jamie, very wise decision buying that as it is probably an end game piece of kit. Only Phono stage I have heard that beats it was Nick Gorhams but that was I think about £10,000.

To the OP this should be what your aiming at.
    http://www.longdogaudio.com/project/...ono-amplifier/
    I’ve heard Nick’s stage versus a Paradise and preferred the Paradise. The NG had big dynamic swings but I wasn’t so convinced by the micro dynamic - in truth, it didn’t do a great deal for me.
    Account Deleted

I'm John.

I’ve heard Nick’s stage versus a Paradise and preferred the Paradise. The NG had big dynamic swings but I wasn’t so convinced by the micro dynamic - in truth, it didn’t do a great deal for me.

Mark words, say it all, his listening experiences, as well as a collection of time served acquired preferences, as to what he perceives as a valuable presentation in a replay, are being fulfilled by a certain type of Device, and as stated, not from a device that persons would usually place as the top of their wish list, if hype only is followed as a recommendation.
    Devices need to be auditioned !
    It just goes to show how making a choice of a Phonostage Model, is very individualistic, to steer away from opportunities to make a assessment of a device, to mimic others in their choice, may prove to be a great experience lost for a prospective Phonostage Purchaser .
    From my own experiences, certain devices performances are indelible to the memory, once a fully satisfying device is heard, the experience remains deep rooted, even if the device is way beyond a affordable purchase, the measure of what one wishes for is set, the process of elimination of non matching performances from devices becomes very easy.
    Then every so often a little gem of a performer turns up, fitting closely to all perceptions and the recognition of earlier experiences come to the fore, reminding one, they are in the right ball park, closer to
    their wish. If it is within Budget, then "Voila" Job Done.
    The Search is over, all other discussion on such a subject, can go straight over ones head.
    " Talk to the Hand, this dudes beyond further persuasion".

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    But did you hear them back to back with the same material? I heard them both in the same system with the same recording and NG phono was stunning. The Paradise was very good too but i would not say it was better than Nicks.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

But did you hear them back to back with the same material? I heard them both in the same system with the same recording and NG phono was stunning. The Paradise was very good too but i would not say it was better than Nicks.
    That's coz were valve phonostage fans Jim.

I haven't heard a SS Phonostage that out performs a valve phonostage.

I've heard SS Phonostages that do some hints better but overall, I always prefer the valve ones because of my taste.
    Last edited by Bigman80; 03-01-2019 at 15:17.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    Back in the day, when vinyl was king, an integrated amp with a poor phono stage was simply a poor amplifier, because that was the source of choice. As time went on, and digital took over, manufacturers produced line level only and then began to make separate phono stages. It makes sense from a profit persepective and it could always be marketed on quality and demand grounds.

I owned and listened to a number of high-end phono stages, with excellent results, but then scratched an itch and bought a high-end pre-power vintage amp, with integral phono stage. As a whole, I preferred its sound to my separate phono stage that retailed for £3,600 on its own, and used in conjunction with 15k worth of amplification. That got me questioning the improvements that separate phono stages brought when compared to investing the same amount elsewhere.

I now own two vintage integrated amplifiers that contain phono stages of their own and I do not feel I am missing anything whatsoever. They are both solid state designs and were high end at the end of the 1970's.

The key is the whole system, not the individual components, and I question the merit of separate boxes that do the same job, in value terms. Honestly, investing in speakers and amps will deliver far greater results in my opinion.
    I picked up a Sony STR6055 receiver with on board phono stage for £69 and its that good I sold all my valve amps and valve stages. The only valve amp I have now is a Chinese 6P3P modified by John Howes to triode mode, I wouldn't sell it simply because John did it for me for free when I worked at his house and besides I sounds bloody good. Sounded very good into his voxativ ampeggio due speakers....I digress no more
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Grant.

still use my emotiva stage. its pretty decent for money. only thing i would realistically change it for now would be a variable gained stage, as im bluetoothing my vinyl a lot and the extra gain would help. not much extra needed mind... a few db probably
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    That's coz were valve phonostage fans Jim.

I haven't heard a SS Phonostage that out performs a valve phonostage.

I've heard SS Phonostages that do some hints better but overall, I always prefer the valve ones because of my taste.
    Yes we are Oli. Some would say that SS is more accurate but I like the distorted valve sound!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Bigman80 Guest

Yes we are Oli. Some would say that SS is more accurate but I like the distorted valve sound!
    Yep. Distortion in music to my ears

I'm Deleted.

Yes, I heard them immediately one after the other with the same music and supporting equipment. The NG unit made a very impressively big sound but I didn’t think it actually hung together as well as some of the cheaper units played on the day.
    Account Deleted

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Yes, I heard them immediately one after the other with the same music and supporting equipment. The NG unit made a very impressively big sound but I didn’t think it actually hung together as well as some of the cheaper units played on the day.
    Fair enough.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast