+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Denon dl103. With thorens td160s/sme 11 improved

I'm Dee.

Default Denon dl103. With thorens td160s/sme 11 improved

Currently have a Yamaha CR2020 receiver which has a moving coil input option, but I use an Arkless modified Cambridge Audio 640p which has loading plugs for moving coil.
    1. I currently alternate between a Denon dl110 and a Shure V15 111 and wonder if a Denon dl103
    would see a marked improvement in my setup.. and whether the Dl103 would be compatible with the SME
    arm.
    Thanks Dee

I'm Adam.

No, the DL103 isn’t a good match for a 3009 S2 Improved.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Dee.

I’ve read reviews both positive and negative about the merits of the Denon dl103 but have never had a moving coil in
    any of my setups.There is nothing wrong in my current setup I enjoy the way it sounds and alternate between the Denon
    Dl110 and the Shure V15 111.Its my understanding that the SME headshell is too light for the Dl103 hence my questions about a heavier headshell...preferably magnesium.. and how heavy...?and does this mean I would have to change the arm
    on my Thorens to utilise the benefits of the dl103
    System... THORENS TD160 Super in Purpose built plinth.

SME 3009 S2 improved ,Van Den Hul hybrid interconnect and rewired by J7 at Audio Origami with Vdh silver wire.

ARKLESS 640P Phono amp..Currently using Denon Dl103
    But have Denon dl110 HoMc cartridge....Shure v15 111. as reserves

YAMAHA Cr2020 receiver overhauled and upgraded by Select 45rpm

Denon dvd 3910(transport) Monarchy Audio M22C Dac..
    Monarchy Audio Dip Classic

Tannoy Cheviot speakers ( cones and surround replaced by Lockwood)

TEAC X1000R r2r

I'm Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dee View Post
    Its my understanding that the SME headshell is too light for the Dl103 hence my questions about a heavier headshell...preferably magnesium.. and how heavy...?and does this mean I would have to change the arm on my Thorens to utilise the benefits of the dl103
    Not only the headshell, it's the whole tonearm effective mass that counts. That since this low compliant cartridge design needs more vertical inertia to perform optimastically. And to add mass on the headshell side, you'll need to counter add mass to the counterweights sides as well.

Ideally if your DL-103 cartridge (8.5 grams) and headshell (plus mounting plate and shim if ever) can buid up to 20 grams and about, you should be fine to make it sing with only a heavier counterweight and a heavier bias weight with the original rider weight pulled to it's maximum to balance the whole tonearm.

Only caution is about your knife edge bearing made. Early versions of the 'Improved' SME's have a steel knife edge bearing that are preferred but then require an inner tube/wand dampening to prevent "ringing" issues. The later 'Improved' have a nylon knife edge bearing that shouldn't need that dampening. Or change of tonearm.
    - Cart Denon DL-102 in bakelite Ortofon SPU 'G' type headshell
    - TA SME 3009 'Improved' converted in heavy mass with detachable headshell
    - TT Thorens TD160 'E' totally tweaked driven by an 'Eagle & RoadRunner' PSU & tachometer combo
    - Matts top to bottom: leather, cork, felt & 12" vinyl
    - Pre-amp 'Modulis' Isem
    - Amp 'Exampli' Etalon 2x40W
    - Speakers 12" Leak 'Sandwich' first generation creatively recapped

+ Reply to Thread