+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody uses a SEG as a preamp?

I'm Rob.

I have Kenwood C1 Basic preamp that's been fully upgraded/moded and there is a noticeable difference between it and the SEG, the C1 has much better separation, the bass is much more defined and it seems to drive my power amp at higher volume levels better.

The SEG as preamp/dac combo is very good and will do the job for many budget and some mid range setups, but up against a decent standalone preamp it's weaknesses will show up.

Quote Originally Posted by meBob View Post
    I have Kenwood C1 Basic preamp that's been fully upgraded/moded and there is a noticeable difference between it and the SEG, the C1 has much better separation, the bass is much more defined and it seems to drive my power amp at higher volume levels better.

The SEG as preamp/dac combo is very good and will do the job for many budget and some mid range setups, but up against a decent standalone preamp it's weaknesses will show up.
    It depends on if you have a standard SEG with the silver volume knob, or one of the later ones with the black knob and Dorado. The difference between the two versions is quite substantial. The black knob version has several improvements in the preamp section based on feedback from customers. That includes a deeper bass and increased pre-amp output level. There is a write up from someone in one of the threads who just started to use his new SEG as a pre-amp in preference to his far more expensive original pre-amp.

I'm Miguel.

Hi,

I've also just aquired a 2nd hand (silver knob) SEG, and use it as a pre-amp. This thing really rocks, love the sound, but I also found out that the output volume is kind of limited.

So the questions goes to Stan:

I use it with the supplied 12v transformer, but I can use a high quality power supply (Zetagi HP156S) that can supply 15V. The manual say the max voltage is 13v, but you've stated in several places that you run them on 15v - do you need any mods for that, or can it be used with 15v stock?

What upgrades are available and what are the costs involved?

What are the differences between the original SEG (the one I have) and the new one?

What upgrades do you consider to make the most difference?
    Living Room: Panasonic 50PX8 | HTPC | Denon DBT-1713UD -> Denon AVR-4311 -> MA Silver RX6 & Centre + Radius 90HD + SVS SB12-NSD
    Office: Laptop | Yamaha CDX890 | Yamaha TX480 -> Beresford Caiman SEG DAC -> Sony TA-N55ES -> B&W CM2 + BK Gemini II
    Workshop: Sony CDP670 | Denon TU235RD -> Audiolab 8000A -> Wharfedale Diamond 220​

I'm Alastair.

Hi, I have tried my SEG (silver knob). I had no issues with the output level but found it more veiled than my passive pre-amp. Also, I need to switch the input to my monoblocs from the SEG to my AV-AMP.
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm Miguel.

Quote Originally Posted by Alp View Post
    Hi, I have tried my SEG (silver knob). I had no issues with the output level but found it more veiled than my passive pre-amp. Also, I need to switch the input to my monoblocs from the SEG to my AV-AMP.
    Well, I've done some comparisons with other power amps - the Denon POA-3200 has a 1.1v input sensitivity, hence the low output. With the Sony TA-N55ES I had no problems, since its input sensitivity is 0.18v. With this Sony, I can also use the SEG in DAC mode only, and use the attenuator to control de volume - the output is significantly louder! Also tried with the Rotel RB-930BX: in stereo the output is almost the same as the Denon (60W/ch and 1.0v input sensitivity); but in Bridged mode (180W) the output level is not an issue ;-)

@StanleyB, can you answer me the other questions? Cheers
    Living Room: Panasonic 50PX8 | HTPC | Denon DBT-1713UD -> Denon AVR-4311 -> MA Silver RX6 & Centre + Radius 90HD + SVS SB12-NSD
    Office: Laptop | Yamaha CDX890 | Yamaha TX480 -> Beresford Caiman SEG DAC -> Sony TA-N55ES -> B&W CM2 + BK Gemini II
    Workshop: Sony CDP670 | Denon TU235RD -> Audiolab 8000A -> Wharfedale Diamond 220​

Quote Originally Posted by barrasman View Post
    @StanleyB, can you answer me the other questions? Cheers
    The SEG works best at 15V, but it will work at 12V. The 13V is a printing mistake in the manual.
    Upgrade wise the most important one is the Dorado with its own charger. After that the CMOS clock upgrade (which is in fact 4 other upgrades rolled into one) is next.

I'm Miguel.

Thanks Stan,

I've tried the Zetagi power supply, swichted between 12v and 15v on the fly with the potentiometer... no difference in sound. I also found the sound with provided PSU equal and more than adequate, so I'll stick to it.

I'm Giovanni.

Hello,

I didn't want to open a new thread and as such am resurrecting this old one, since the virus emergency there is plenty of time to play at home and I would like to give it a try at using the SEG (which I bought somewhere around end of 2018 along with the Dorado) as a preamp and bypass the AudioResearch SP9 which comes handy when I want to listen to a vinyl so, just for the sake of it but am wondering if there is any issue at going straight into my tube amp, a Chinese made Aeron AP890 with twin KT88 whose specs I don't know since I bought it used and with no datasheet, so far I only know it has a 0,75v sensitivity and a 47Kohm impedance, would I run any issue by trying to drive the power amp directly with the SEG?

Grazie

AP890.jpg

I'm Kevin.

I have run my power amps directly with the SEG.
    Make sure you change the volume to variable, and turn it right down.

There should be no issue, but just build the volume up gently.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Alastair.

I tried it for a while but soon reverted to a passive preamplifier. There seemed to be a veil.over the music. It may well be system dependent.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast