+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody uses a SEG as a preamp?

I'm Giovanni.

Default Anybody uses a SEG as a preamp?

Just wondering, since I'm not using the turntable at all I'd like to give it a try to go from the Caiman straight to the power amp instead of passing through the Audio Research SP9 preamp just for the sake of trying to figure if there's any difference.

When used as a preamp what does it change towards the DAC modality?

Grazie

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni68 View Post
    Just wondering, since I'm not using the turntable at all I'd like to give it a try to go from the Caiman straight to the power amp instead of passing through the Audio Research SP9 preamp just for the sake of trying to figure if there's any difference.

When used as a preamp what does it change towards the DAC modality?

Grazie
    Hi Giovanni

I've just brought a SEG (with the Dorado power supply) and using it purely as a pre amp into an Exposure Super viii (8) on Stan's recommendation .

It sounds wonderful (to me) to the point that I will probably be selling the Exposure VII with the VI Power Supply ( I NEVER thought I would do that !!)

There is a switch on the device that changes from DAC to Preamp and you just connect it directly into the poweramp where the original preamp used to connect

Hope this helps a bit

Andy

I'm Giovanni.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfishnet View Post
    Hi Giovanni

I've just brought a SEG (with the Dorado power supply) and using it purely as a pre amp into an Exposure Super viii (8) on Stan's recommendation .

It sounds wonderful (to me) to the point that I will probably be selling the Exposure VII with the VI Power Supply ( I NEVER thought I would do that !!)

There is a switch on the device that changes from DAC to Preamp and you just connect it directly into the poweramp where the original preamp used to connect

Hope this helps a bit

Andy
    Hello Andy,

I was just wondering, to simplify, to give it a try and bypass the preamp to find out if there is any change into sound which I find hard to achieve with my old sound chain but I will still have to wait for new tubes to come for my power amp, I make little or no use of the turntable which is the only reason to have a preamp like my AR SP9 with its phono stage otherwise it would be great to have less cables running around...

Oh, unfortunately I found out that the optical out of my cd player doesn't work, I dunno if it's me doing something wrong or if when I sent it to repair and upgrade the optical was bypassed, I will have to ask the guy who did the mods.

Grazie Andy and enjoy your SEG as much as I am enjoying mine!

Giovanni

p.s. Stan is great both before and after buying, really great support

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni68 View Post
    I use a SEG as a pre-amp directly into a Naim NAP 100 power amp. It works perfectly and delivers amazing results. Just set the pre-amp switch on the SEG

The only thing I had to do was to run an earth lead from the Naim's casing to the SEG's earthing point to remove an earth loop hum - I cannibalised the proprietary Naim connecting lead for this!

To be honest, if you only have digital sources, I don't see any point in using a separate pre-amp these days, provided your DAC has sufficient inputs and a variable output.
    Bit-perfect Streaming: Raspberry Pi 2 & HiFiBerry Digi+ & MoodeAudio; DAC: Beresford Caiman SEG; Power Amp: Naim NAP 100; Speakers: PMC TB2i
    Recording: Mics: 2 X DPA 2011C, 2 X Line Audio OM1, 2 X Line Audio CM3, 2 X Calrec CM652D, iSK SM168, 2 X Behringer C4; Recorder: Zoom F8; Zoom H4N; Interfaces/Mixers: Sound Devices USBPre-2, Behringer Xenyx 802, Monitors: KRK Rokit 6

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by robtweed View Post
    I use a SEG as a pre-amp directly into a Naim NAP 100 power amp. It works perfectly and delivers amazing results. Just set the pre-amp switch on the SEG

The only thing I had to do was to run an earth lead from the Naim's casing to the SEG's earthing point to remove an earth loop hum - I cannibalised the proprietary Naim connecting lead for this!

To be honest, if you only have digital sources, I don't see any point in using a separate pre-amp these days, provided your DAC has sufficient inputs and a variable output.
    Only thing I find using my SEG as a pre is limited volume, so I suppose it depends on the output to the power amp as to whether it's ideal or not.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Only thing I find using my SEG as a pre is limited volume, so I suppose it depends on the output to the power amp as to whether it's ideal or not.
    Certainly not a problem with my Naim amp and PMC speakers - rarely had the SEG volume control beyond half-way, at which point it's getting seriously **LOUD**! :-)
    Bit-perfect Streaming: Raspberry Pi 2 & HiFiBerry Digi+ & MoodeAudio; DAC: Beresford Caiman SEG; Power Amp: Naim NAP 100; Speakers: PMC TB2i
    Recording: Mics: 2 X DPA 2011C, 2 X Line Audio OM1, 2 X Line Audio CM3, 2 X Calrec CM652D, iSK SM168, 2 X Behringer C4; Recorder: Zoom F8; Zoom H4N; Interfaces/Mixers: Sound Devices USBPre-2, Behringer Xenyx 802, Monitors: KRK Rokit 6

When did you buy the SEG, and has it had any of the hardware upgrades? The more recent ones have a higher pre-amp output.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    When did you buy the SEG, and has it had any of the hardware upgrades? The more recent ones have a higher pre-amp output.
    No upgrades, bought it used on here so no idea of age. It sounds like it's an earlier version in need of some tweaking.

No upgrades, bought it used on here so no idea of age. It sounds like it's an earlier version in need of some tweaking.
    It's £60 for a full upgrade if you are in the UK, or £115 with the Dorado and charger thrown in.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    It's £60 for a full upgrade if you are in the UK, or £115 with the Dorado and charger thrown in.
    Been planning on doing the upgrade for the Dorado anyway but it will be a few weeks yet before I can send it off as I will need to wait on my Pi/DAC coming back from loan to replace it whilst it's away

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast