+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative power amp replacement for Audiolab 8000a.

I'm Andrew.

Default Alternative power amp replacement for Audiolab 8000a.

Hi All, you may be able to help me here. My full set up is geared towards DJ ing. Two technics 1210 mk3, a Vestax pcv 275 mixer ( which acts as a pre amp )and an Audiolab 8000a integrated amp. My thoughts now are that as the Audiolab can’t work as a power amp I would like to change it for a dedicated power amp as it seems wrong to have both the mixer and the amp working as pre amps. The amp owes me £170 so was wandering what recommendations you could offer as a suitable replacement around this budget. I do enjoy the clarity of the Audiolab which seems to suit the Kefs.
    Any advice would be greatly received.
    Andrew

I'm Martin.

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Andydaa View Post
    I do enjoy the clarity of the Audiolab which seems to suit the Kefs.
    I'm not really keen on the Audiolab 8000a. To me they sound a bit dull.

There's not much around in the way of power amps at £170, but if you were lucky, you might pick up a Quad 306. That would offer an improvement in sound quality, assuming the high input sensitivity works with the Vestax mixer.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Ok, thanks for that. I don’t mind increasing price to get something better. Was thinking with the speakers being 4 ohms was a key factor but never really thought about the mixer’ sensitivity.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Andydaa View Post
    Ok, thanks for that. I don’t mind increasing price to get something better. Was thinking with the speakers being 4 ohms was a key factor but never really thought about the mixer’ sensitivity.
    In that case, you could look at the Quad 606 or 606 Mk.II. They cost a little more, but offer 140 watts into 8 ohms and 220 watts into 4 ohms, more than enough. And they're built like a tank! If you drop one on your foot, you'll need hospital treatment and the amp will probably come out of it unscathed .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Won't be easy to get a 606 for £170
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

Around your budget I would look at the rotel 800 & 900 series power amps, they are more than capable of driving a 4 Ohm load. Have used a mates RB970BX to drive my Usher Dancer Mini 2s to good effect.

I'm Andrew.

Excellent, will check out those recommendations. Quite happy to spend more if I get a marked improvement. Thanks.

I'm Rob.

You can make the 8000a into a power amp as I did it to one I had years ago. You have to remove 2 resistors. I still have the manual somewhere if you are interested in this simple mod.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Andrew.

That would be great. Did it make much of a difference for you?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast