+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS Croft 5C parallel EL84 Power Amp

I'm Alan.

Default FS Croft 5C parallel EL84 Power Amp

For sale an excellent condition Croft 5C power amplifier.

Conservatively rated at 30W per channel but capable of 45W max output.

Uses parallel push pull EL84 valves, currently fitted with JJ's.

This model has been converted to self biasing on the output valves, ensuring long and trouble free life.

£550 plus postage at cost.

Bigman80 Guest

Great price. I've heard this amp, if you are a valve amp lover, this is for you!

GLWS

I'm Alan.

New year bump

I'm Colin.

Can you describe the sound character of this amp? Not sure how to ask that but is it a traditional sort of valve etc etc if that makes sense? And I know it will run “warm” but how warm.

Thanks

Colin

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Colin2040 View Post
    Can you describe the sound character of this amp? Not sure how to ask that but is it a traditional sort of valve etc etc if that makes sense? And I know it will run “warm” but how warm.

Thanks

Colin
    Can I offer some input having heard it?

Here, it sounded very much like a Valve amp. Airy treble and Sweet midrange. The staples of good valve amps IMO.

Vocals were beautiful on Lily & Madeleine. 'Come to me' just sounded like angels pouring liquid from the speakers. Dramatic I know but it really was a sensory experience.

The treble was also very interesting. It retained the metallic quality I get with the Krell, which is excellent. There was also a little bit of shimmer which I liked.

The bass or lower registers do all the things I've heard from previous valve amps. Full.

The money this is available for makes it a proper 'makes sense' purchase. Not many valve amps will beat this for £550.

I'm Colin.

Thanks , appreciated. I am looking for a valve amp but never owned a Croft. I haven’t had a valve amp for about two tears and feel I am miasin* the sound they produce. But also aware that not all valve amps are to my taste.
    Colin

Bigman80 Guest

Thanks , appreciated. I am looking for a valve amp but never owned a Croft. I haven’t had a valve amp for about two tears and feel I am miasin* the sound they produce. But also aware that not all valve amps are to my taste.
    Colin
    No worries. It's a shame you're so far away as I am sure a demo wouldn't have been an issue.

I don't know what theres not to like about it to be honest.

I'm fussy about bass which is why valve amps haven't lasted here. I much prefer the muscle from the Krell so that's where I'll be staying. The Croft is really well built and looks and weighs like a quality piece. I know there were a few interested parties in this amp as they don't come around too often.

I'm Alan.

I have this on hold for a prospective purchaser, just waiting for confirmation.

SOLD stp
    Last edited by Firebottle; 01-01-2019 at 16:22. Reason: Now sold

I'm Colin.

That’s fine I will keep an eye on the thread just in case. I like my bass as well but generally like the bits that valves do I think better and can live with the perceived reduced bass. However I once owned a lowly powered Oto and with the right speakers the bass was excellent. I think it’s more to do with partnering the right equipment.

I'm James.

That’s fine I will keep an eye on the thread just in case. I like my bass as well but generally like the bits that valves do I think better and can live with the perceived reduced bass. However I once owned a lowly powered Oto and with the right speakers the bass was excellent. I think it’s more to do with partnering the right equipment.
    Or buy bigger speakers.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast